X

Starting up problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting up problem

hi, so i am new to bikes. I have a 2000 kat 600 i just bought recently and i am having little problem(after it sits for a few hours) starting it up. Depending on the temp outside and how long it had ben sitting i use the choke and it does always start i just need to be in first and moving(like walking the bike quickly). So people i talked too said that i might have a flow of fluids problem or maybe try cleaning the filters. I can give more detail if you need I just wated to see what you guys think, thanks for any help =)

ok, if you you push start it just fine, how would that have anything to do with fuel flow?

Comment

Your push starting the bike?

Comment

Originally posted by Vixen Hunter View Post
        So people i talked too said that i might have a flow of fluids problem or maybe try cleaning the filters.
        Then they are stupid . Or YOU are stupid . In any event , SOMEONE is stupid .....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Its not only a push start because i still use the electric starter. I am not just pushing it really fast and then flicking the clutch. I am walking it, pressing the electric start, and giving it a little throttle. So is it even a problem that i have to do that? should i just live with it?

Comment

A very unconventional way to start it. I didn't know the starter would engage with the clutch lever out. I'm not about to try it on my bike. This isn't a fuel flow problem you have here, as Arsenic pointed out. Research your electrical connections. I'm just trying to picture you walking in gear with the bike and pushing the starter button at the same time along with some throttle. What happens if this sucker catches and you twist the throttle by accident? Eventually you are going to be replacing the starter and maybe some wiring. Again, research all of your electrical connections.

Funny thing, I used to start my Cooper 250 that way. Except it didn't have a starter. I just ran my butt off then jumped on it when I got up to speed and popped the clutch.
            Last edited by Kfreak; 05-10-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

your pushing it, dumping the clutch, and hitting the starter button. AKA...a push start.

Comment

I'd start by changing the plugs, synchronizing the carbs, valve adjustment and new air filter if you don't know the last time these were done.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Yea I've been having the same problem recently. I had to push start for a few days, but now seems to me fine. Wiring, spark plugs, them may be the problems.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ok , wait , so ....... starter doesn't spin unless your walking it ? Or it DOES , but bike won't catch ?

Comment

today it seemed to work fine cuz it was really warm out and sunny so maybe it was just the weather even through it was not really that cold out the last week. but in case it is not my method for starting it besides today has ben to put it in first with choke half/to full, walk it, hold clutch in, and press the starter. it takes a seccond but with some throttle it starts. if i do not walk it it just makes that trying to start sound. Remember this is after sitting for like 3-6 hours otherwise it starts fine like it should. I am going to get more firmilar with the insides of my bike just i have not had a lot of time lately and i posted this just because i did not have the time to search through the fourms and wated to see if you guys knew. Thanks for the help so far ill prob have to check the wireing and things, maybe this weekend. Thanks again =)

Comment

Um...battery?
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The only possible affect walking the bike could have that makes scense to me if he has the clutch handle pulled in... is the clutch is not fully dis-engaging, and walking the bike gives less resistance to the motor when the starter is trying to turn it over.

That... or it was what was done this one time and it started but really has nothing to do with it at all.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

That... or it was what was done this one time and it started but really has nothing to do with it at all.

Krey
                            Like a rally cap , or not changing your socks because something good happened last time you forgot to . Or not washing your bike because every time you DO , somethin breaks .....

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                              I'd start by changing the plugs, synchronizing the carbs, valve adjustment and new air filter if you don't know the last time these were done.
                              + a new fuel filter and make sure the fuel lines are running downhill. It probably has nothing to do with the walking, and more to do with the bike being upright. Try just sitting it perfectly upright when starting it, and then doing the same choke/throttle dance you're used to.
                              - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                              2005 F4i -

Comment

Working...
                              X