Clutch dragging

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch dragging

Ok, here's my issue......
    I've lately developed a chronic problem with missing 2nd gear. I couldn't figure out why. Even when I clutch into 2nd, sometimes it'll only sorta go in, and pop right out again. Also, when I'm downshifting, I've noticed that I HAVE to blip the throttle, or it won't downshift at all (clutch in). So last night, I was adjusting my shift lever, and I popped it into 1st. When I went to upshift to 2nd (all with the engine off) it wouldn't go. No biggie, roll the bike forward a bit, and it'll go in. Then I noticed, it was HARD to roll it. Pop it into neutral, it rolls with no issue. Also, the bike has begun clunking into 2nd, and badly into 1st at a stop. I figure the clutch must be dragging, but even with the clutch adjusted way out, so it doesn't engage until the lever is at the end of it's throw, it doesn't feel like it's letting go completely. What could cause this? I switched oils last time I changed it (I change oil about every 2 weeks), to Rotella T, cuz I heard good things about it. Could this cause it? Possibly a stretching clutch cable? I also used to use Lucas Oil stuff in my oil (at the advice of a local KZ racer), but I didn't this time. Any ideas for me would be great. Oh yeah, I run 15w-40 in it. My girl's father is a heavy equipment mechanic, and he said that when they sent out oil samples to be tested for their fleets, that Chevron always came back far better than the rest. Anybody have any experience with them? Do they make motorcycle specific oils? Thanks in advance.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

wow, not 1 reply?
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

There is a clutch adjustment at the trans right below were the cable enters the motor
      The book tells you to loosen the adjuster at the clutch lever and on the other end.
      Remove the clutch release cover(small rubber cap maybe 1 ½ dia) loosen lock nut(10 mm) back the screw out two or three rotations and slowly turn back in until it meets high resistance, back out ¼ ½ turn and tighten lock nut. Then reset the clutch lever adjuster so you have 4 mm play. Hope that helps
      I just changed my oil and I used full synthetic Castrol gps 10/40 what a difference I will never go back. Not sure if it will help your problem but you will feel the difference.
      I was having a problem with slipping and between the synthetic and tightening the clutch springs it doesn’t slip anymore.
      Good luck

Comment

Working...
      X