X

Oil Temperature Gauge.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Temperature Gauge.

Has anyone used the "Shindy" digital oil temp gauge? I'm trying to decide on this gauge or a "Dakota" digital gauge. Or even a anolog gauge, I think the vibration might be to much for a regular gauge.

Thanks

1995 750 Katana
    Minor Mods, Exhaust, Jet Kit, and Corbin Seat (it the greatest!!!)

Re: Oil Temperature Gauge.

Originally posted by OlderKat
    Has anyone used the "Shindy" digital oil temp gauge? I'm trying to decide on this gauge or a "Dakota" digital gauge. Or even a anolog gauge, I think the vibration might be to much for a regular gauge.

Thanks

1995 750 Katana
    Minor Mods, Exhaust, Jet Kit, and Corbin Seat (it the greatest!!!)
    Check with Cyberpoet,he sells a ready to install kit,everything proof,and i think it works too
    Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

I've never used the Shindy, but I have looked at the dakota digital ones. I have an analog gauge installed in my 01 Kat 600 -- a gauge & sender kit which I sell. Mention you're a KR member and get a $5 discount...

You can find the details here:

CyberPoet's MotorcycleAnchor.com - Oil Temp Gauges for sale

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Tres nice Cyber......

Buc
        it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Thanks for the info. You will be hearing from me shortly Cyber.

1995 Katana 750

Minor Mods: Yosh Exhaust, K&N Jet Kit, K&N Pod filters, Corbin Seat

Comment

Cyber - I love your oil temp gauge - my Kat's at the house, so I can't check, but where would you install one on a pre-98 kat?

Also, what would be considered "standard operating temp" for the oil? Since there is no specified "redline" on the gauge, when is it assumed that it's time to shut the engine down to avoid damage?

I got stuck in stop & go traffic for about 25 minutes last week (90 degree day, high humidity), and since my carbs are in dire need of a good cleaning - the idle would sometimes "bounce" as high as 3500 rpm. Sure enough about 4 miles from home it started burning off what I can only assume was debris on the oil cooler (bugs & stuff I'd assume). Small hints of smoke every now & then. I finally made my way to a turn lane and made it home via the back roads with some decent airflow. The bike seems to have survived OK (I rode it again later that night & the follow days without issue), but I'm sure the oil is now damaged and in need of a change... that's when I started looking into your gauge assembly

Comment

Originally posted by MinnGreenGT
              Cyber - I love your oil temp gauge - my Kat's at the house, so I can't check, but where would you install one on a pre-98 kat?

Also, what would be considered "standard operating temp" for the oil? Since there is no specified "redline" on the gauge, when is it assumed that it's time to shut the engine down to avoid damage?
              As far as I can tell, your only choice would be to drill into the upper-fairing somewhat, since the surround isn't large enough to support the gauge by itself on a pre-98 Kat.

After you've had it in for a while, you'll get a good feel for what standard temps are and what's way too high... I use 320-340 (F) as way too high in my mind, although I know my oil will go a bit past 400 degrees without totally self-destructing.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet

PS - I leave for the Gap tonight and won't be back for about 2 weeks, so if you order one, have patience on fulfillment.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Does anyone know what size the oil drain plug is on pre-98 Kats??

Also I have the fuel gauge removed and replaced with a temp gauge.
                I can't bring myself to drill a hole in the bodywork!!!

Thanks

1995 750 Kat

Yosh Exhaust, K&N Jet Kit, K&H Pod Filters, and Corbin Seat

Comment

Originally posted by OlderKat
                  Does anyone know what size the oil drain plug is on pre-98 Kats??
                  M14-1.25
                  in other words, 14mm, 1-1/4 turns
                  is the stock size...

Cheers
                  =-= The Cyber_Poet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X