X

Float Height?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Height?

When setting float height, Is the measurement of 14.6mm the difference between the lip of the carb and the top (bottom technically) of the float or the difference between the lip of the carb and the ridge on the side of the float?

I'm ready to throw the carbs back on the bike, but I want to make sure I haven't set the floats too high versus too low. If it's to the bottom of the float I don't expect that to be a problem as I'm closer to 20mm. I can't get near 14.6 unless I forcibly hold the floats against the top of the bowl with my finger. However if it's the ridge on the float I'm closer to 10mm.
    -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

mating surface (lip of the carb) to the top of the float.

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Great. Thanks for the link.
        -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

I think I set it up right, but now I've got fuel coming out of the vent tube on the left bank of carbs.

Is this a seperate issue or is this a function of float height?

On the bright side, It FINALLY idled, for the first time since I bought it!
          -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Fuel out the vent tube ? Really ? Um , wow ...... You SURE it ain't coming from somewhere else ?

Comment

yeah MD, I didn't say anything because I have 0 clue WTF would cause that too happen

Comment

I mean , it's GOTTA be coming from somewhere else . I mean , if it's coming out the vent , SOMETHJING'S gotta be pushing it , see'in as how the vent's at the top , and NOT under pressure .....

Comment

Nope, I am 100% positive it's coming out the vent tube. I thought I was crazy at first, and then that it was the petcock so I pulled the tank and put some spare tube on it and tried to replicate it. I then put the tank back on the bike. and exposed the vent tube into a bucket. I set the petcock to Prime and watched fuel pour right out.
                  -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Ok , just so we're clear ..... this is the TOP tube that drapes over the airbox that seems to be spitting gas ? And on prime ....

Comment

Either on prime or on run with the engine running. The problem has been solved, and all the fuel is now staying in the bike.

You'd never believe what it was so I will refrain from asking people to make off the wall guesses. It boils down to this: foreign object in the bowl area ABOVE the floats...

It was the rubber stopper that the dealership didn't put back in below the idle jet that started me having to get inside the carbs. I ordered another one off bike bandit and then the fuel purging issues started. Somehow in it's position above the float on the vent side it must have been created enough of a channel that it kicked fuel up and out the vent.

I figure about one more hour to put everything back on and slap on the bodywork and I'll be rolling. I'm just glad it wasn't something major.
                      -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Working...
                      X