X

Bore it out or replace the cylinders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bore it out or replace the cylinders?

OK, I just got my jugs back from the engine shop and the cylinders are all out of spec in the tops of the cylinders. Now I'm forced with the decision of boring it out or replacing the cylinders. I would like to bore it out but cant really locate a kit online to do so. I am pretty sure Wiseco has a kit but when looking on their website I did not see it. I can get a Used cylinder on ebay for around 150 bucks and I am sure the Piston Kit will be more pricey and its gonna be 20 bucks a hole to bore the cylinders out so I'm leaning towards new rings and a used cylinder with low miles. Just looking for some suggestions and maybe someone who has bored their Kat out could let me know about power increase and where they got their kit at. I also would be interested if someone has a cylinder that is in good shape.

It sounds like a perfect excuse to look for a bandit 1200 engine to me.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

if you bore it, what pistons do you plan on using? I have a set of pre and post used cylinders for less the $150. I just read your garage "2002 600" well, I have a cylinder but there is no oversize pistons for a 600, anywhere.
      Last edited by arsenic; 05-07-2009, 04:48 PM.

Comment

I don't know where to get over sized pistons at, that was why I was asking if anyone had done it and too maybe tell me where they got them and such. I really do think I am going to just get a new cylinder and go with that because I already have a set of rings for the stock sized pistons. I'm just weighing my options before I decide. As far as an engine swap goes...I don't want to pay someone to do it and I don't feel comfortable enough to do it myself. Maybe if I had more money laying around I would go for a 750 Kat engine swap but replacing the cylinder seems like the cheap and simple solution. Once I get things in order and figure out what I'm doing I'll send you a message about the cylinder Arsenic and maybe we can work something out.

Comment

There's no separate "cylinder liners" to replace for the 98+.
          There's also no boring out the existing cylinders (it can be done, but it'll be more expensive than replacing the engine because of the coating on the existing walls means you're looking at heavy machine-shop time, and no one makes bigger pistons to compensate anyway).
          That means swapping the mid-section of the motor OR swapping motors as entire units.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

just get a used 98+ 600 cylinder. I can ridge ream the bores and hone them (for a fee) so they are ready to go. BTW, I know people will tell you it's easier to swap engines and it is. Why don't people actually do sometings? How'd do you think I learned how to do this stuff? It wasn't from a book that's for sure. A ring job is not hard to do, just take your time, I can help you through anything you need. The hard process to bore that CP is referring too, is for Naskil <sp> coating, which are not all 98+. It's something like 03-06.
            Last edited by arsenic; 05-07-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

How many motors in the US have the Nikasil coating? And what years? I thought only BMW did this to their motors.

Comment

no 98+ Katana engines do too, but only like 03-06. As far as how many, uuummm... like all of them.

Comment

Did they treat a steel cylinder with the nickel? I'm only asking because of the trouble BMW had with their auto engines.

Comment

no idea how they did it, certain cylinder walls have Nikasil coating, that's all I know. Only cause you can't hone it, and I tried one time.

Comment

I think just about every current Suzuki uses them (they have their own name for their proprietary blend, but it's effectively the same concept as nikasil). Suzuki actually has two different versions of it, one that is electroplated (SCEM = Suzuki Composite Electrochemical Material, a nickel phosphorus-silicon-carbide combo -- used in most of their bikes) and their plasma-sprayed solution (SPSC = Suzuki Plasma Spray Coating -- used on some of the Suzuki ATV, and I suspect based on a titanium-nitride solution).

The Kats got "phased-in" changes, with the bores coming first (somewhere around '01 from what I recall the press materials saying at the time) to including the oil-control and upper-compression rings in '05 with a variation of the same coating.

The stuff is a bear to drill through, with the compound eating up hardened tool steel bits in fairly short order compared to conventional steel or aluminum engines. But it's cheaper than inserting steel linings, and wears better too...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Aren't the 86/87 750 GSXR stock pistons the same size wrist pins as the 600 Kat? If they are, the 600 Kat has THICK sleeves & can be bored to the EARLY GSXR 750 bore size. I know the earlier 600 blocks would go big enough but not sure about the 2002. Anyone know the sleeve thickness on the 2002? Is it still sleeved or Nikasil? Ray.
                        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

the 98+ 600 is NOT a sleeved down 750. That was just pre's.

Comment

That's not what he's askin .....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Chris, can't you put a PRE block on 98+? Ray.
                              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
                              X