Bore it out or replace the cylinders?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sure can.

Comment

If I remember correctly, when we put the 750 pistons in a Kat, it made it like a 685cc or so. The cool part is that the stock sleeves will bore that big NO problem! I just can't remember about the wrist pin diameters. Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

well, the 600 is 18mm, I don't know what the 750 is. At least I think it's 18mm, I'm lucky if I remember my name.

Comment

The 86/87 750 pistons are 18 mm pin. Ray.
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

the pre 600 and pre 750 have a different crank. The 750 is like 4mm thicker. I wouldn't be comfortable putting 750 pistons on a 600 crank. Then again I don't build race engines, I kinda want my engines to last longer then 1 run.
            Last edited by arsenic; 05-08-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

I was told by a mechanic today that if I replace the cylinders with used ones I would have to get the pistons that came from that cylinder with it. I explained to him that I was going to hone the cylinders and replace the rings on the pistons and he said I should still get the matching pistons. This sounds weird to me because if I were having the cylinders honed they should be like new afterwards and with new rings they should seal just fine, or at least in my mind they should. I tried to call the local race engine shop to see what they had to say(thats who checked the specs on my cylinders for me), but they were not open. Also the mechanic told me he wouldn't be surprised that if I just replaced my rings it would work fine. I am thinking of reassembling the engine and seeing if t works...but I also do not want to have to do this again if it doesn't work. The engine shop that checked my cylinders said that cylinders 2,3,4 were about the same and they were about 1 thousandth out of spec and cylinder 1 was about 2 thousandth out. He also said the cylinders were tapered...The bottoms are pretty much perfect, and it continues that was until about half way up the cylinder and then it just gets wider as it goes.

I am going to call the engine shop on Monday and see what they have to say about all this but for now I thought id just see what anyone who knows whats going on has to say.

I would rather just replace the cylinders with ones that are still in spec and use my pistons and new rings as planed. But the whole get matching pistons with the cylinder thing has me worried about that unless someone can let me know its cool to do it with my pistons and another cylinder.

Comment

that is complete 2lboxery. If you hone the cylinders and you use new rings, there is 0 reason to get the matching pistons. I have a 98+ 600 cylinder, the pistons and crank are about the only thing stock from the original 1995 engine. I honed the cylinders, used a ridge reamer on the bores, and used new rings.
                Last edited by arsenic; 05-09-2009, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Thats kind of what I figured...thank you arsenic.

Comment

Chris, when I was building the bigger 600 motors, I used AFTERMARKET GSXR pistons & never had a problem. The short stroke 600 crank with the bigger 750 pistons made for a motor that would SING!!! The fastest one I built ran 10.50s but it also had a 750 head, cams, porting, & the owner weighed 130 lbs. Guys on 750s would just about CRAP as he drove away from them! He beat the SNOT out of that bike for 2 full seasons before we even took it apart to look at things inside. Even then, I just honed it, put in new rings & valve seals, lapped the valves & put it all back together. It was still on the road when I left Hawaii in 97. Ray.

Comment

ok, I have never done that, I just wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. Kinda like when you said stroke doesn't matter with a head swap? Uuummm...yes it does, again can you do it? Probably, would I? Nope. I do believe you can, I just wouldn't. Tell this member about how he doesn't need matching pistons.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 05-09-2009, 09:25 PM.

Comment

I got a used 750 cylinder bank , NEW Suzi 1mm over 750 pistons /rings , and things seem fine . Guess I didn't get that memo about pistons needing to stay with the jugs .....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

that was certainly not on the factory certification exam

Comment

Working...
                          X