X

petcock on prime bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock on prime bad?

if i rode my katana with the petcock in the prime position is it probable that i dumped excess fuel into the carbs and consequently into the cylinders/oil?

Originally posted by kat600ksu View Post
    if i rode my katana with the petcock in the prime position is it probable that i dumped excess fuel into the carbs and consequently into the cylinders/oil?
    No.
    But it very well might if it's lefted parked like that.

I drained about 7.5 litres of "oil" out this spring.
    Phooey.
    93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

no, as long as you're floats are actually working it doesn't matter.
      Last edited by arsenic; 05-07-2009, 03:11 AM.

Comment

The system has to have two simultaneous failures in the flow control to permit excess fuel to flow into the cylinders -- both the petcock (manually by being in PRIME or by virtue of a bad petcock), AND the carb floats (which work just like the float-valve in your toilet; like a toilet that won't stop running, when it goes bad, the carb floods).

You should only use the PRIME (PRI) on the petcock to refill the carbs after they've emptied for some reason (such as dropping the bike, or draining the carbs while working on them).

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

awesome!!

thanks for your help, i kinda panicked a bit b4 thinking that completely through!!! i just replaced the o-rings in my floats and am 100% they are sealing properly!!

Comment

But the float NEEDLES ....... but yeah , if the floats are doing what they's 'POSED ta be ,it'll be fine
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

If it's only when being ridden, then it does not matter the posistion as all of them are on (fuel flowing) when the bike is running.

It's when the bike is off that prime can show you an issue with the floats.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
              X