X

wont idle right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wont idle right

Hey, Ive got a 04 katana 600 with 7000Km, i know its been properly maintained before i got it. Last summer the owner of the bike passed away so it sat around until now it wont idle right, it use to idle awesome. I syphoned out all of the old gas and replaced it with 91octain,and gave it an oil change just to be on the safe side. I dont really want to touch the carbs because ive never worked on anything this new, just old dirtbikes and stuff. The bike will start pretty quick, and with the choke on about half way at the start, the rpms will vary. Eventually it will die down so ill turn the choke off but It will idle poorly, there is alot of hesitation, if i give it gas it will studder for a bit and then the rpms will rise. Sometimes i cant even get the rpms above about 1.5-2k without so much hesitation from what seems to be it flooding its self. I drove the bike down the street a bit, and while in gear there seems to be no problem getting it up in rpms, but i only took it to second gear.

Do you guys know what i should be looking for, i dont really want to have to rip anything apart that i dont have to. thanks alot.

Sorry Charlie, but it's your carbs.

Prepare for a long arduous battle. Well, not really; just follow the steps in Carbs101.

I was actually pretty reluctant about getting into my carbs to clean them so I paid almost $300 for the dealer to do it and leave me with another problem. I still ended up having to get into the carbs but it was not the dark scary world that I feared. If I'd bucked up and done it myself the first time I'd be riding now.

While you're cleaning the carbs it's also a good time to coat the tank to prevent rust which will save you from even more carb woes.

Have fun.
    -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Touch the carbs, You have to clean out the pilot jets and what not ....

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Mine did exactly the same. Previous owner did not properly winterize it and it had the same symptoms. (03 Kat 600). I did take mine to the dealer for carb cleaning & synch. (They seem to go together). I said keep it until finished...we were on vac. in...Ottawa!
        LMT

Comment

Alright, Ill have a go at the carbs tonight. Thanks.

Comment

Pilot jets my friend.... I cleaned my carbs three times and adjusted amd adjusted amd adjusted and it still wasnt right so I took it to a local shop and had them set it up. Runs like a raped ape now. Well worth the $250 it cost me, but you may have better luck than myself.
            Originally posted by arsenic
            93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
              Pilot jets my friend.... I cleaned my carbs three times and adjusted amd adjusted amd adjusted and it still wasnt right so I took it to a local shop and had them set it up. Runs like a raped ape now. Well worth the $250 it cost me, but you may have better luck than myself.
              Yes, a crucial part of cleaning the carbs is to clean both the pilot jets and the mains.
              -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Originally posted by STS View Post
                Yes, a crucial part of cleaning the carbs is to clean both the pilot jets and the mains.
                Yup, and with a crappy idle you should pay special attention to the pilot circuit.

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                X