Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My bike cranks randomly now , what's the deal?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My bike cranks randomly now , what's the deal?

The kat seems to have a problem, it's an 03 600. I Bought it with 12k miles and now it's got around 23k. It randomly cranks, I will pull in the clutch and electric start it.. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it does not. I've never changed the spark plugs so I'm guessing that might be it. could it be the electric starter??battery seems good still.
    sigpic

more info needed.

when you say cranks, does the engine turn over via the starter but not start? if so are you using the choke?

if it won't turn over via the starter there are some safeties to check. sidestand switch, clutch switch and maybe even the start switch. how bright are the headlights? you may have a weak battery.

Comment

Dito.

Comment

The starter doesn't even try to turn the engin over... No sound what so ever. headlights bright and dem seems fine, checker side stand switch too, it ok.
        Last edited by acraze; 05-05-2009, 09:29 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acraze View Post
          The starter doesn't even try to turn the engin over... No sound what so ever. headlights bright and dem seems fine, checker side stand switch too, it ok.
          Writing after happy hour are we?
          Currently Riding:
          1995 Katana 600
          V&H Exhaust
          Jet Kit

SOLD
          2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
          1987 XV700 Bobber
          REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Originally posted by katanawarrior View Post
            Writing after happy hour are we?
            Haha nope I'm on an iPhone pita for typing
            sigpic

Comment

check your battery cable connections

Comment

plugs could be fouled... pilot jets could clogged...
                Let's go riding!

Comment

Yea road it around earlier, after I stopped and turned it of for a min it would not turn over crank what so ever. I had to put it in 2nd and roll it down a hill for a push start, it started fine like that
                  sigpic

Comment

Might just be a dirty connection in the starter button .....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

You might also want to take apart the right hand switch assembly & see if there is corrosion on the button contacts. If so, clean them, put some dielectric grease on the contacts & reassemble. Ray.
                      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

how old's the battery? i'd give ya odds it's either toast, or needs a fluid level check (add distilled water only) and a good charge.
                        99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                        1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                        '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                        Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Mine did the same thing, I pushed down and in a little on the starter switch and it works now. I guess I need to replace or fix that before I get to far from home.
                          Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

Originally posted by JHILDE View Post
                            Mine did the same thing, I pushed down and in a little on the starter switch and it works now. I guess I need to replace or fix that before I get to far from home.
                            Just disassemble the switch & clean the button contacts. Re-assemble with dielectric grease. Ray.
                            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

clutch interlock, thats what went on mine, just disconnected it and fixed the wires together

Comment

Working...
                              X