X

Rusty and Busty.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty and Busty.

Long story short, I finally did maintenance to the ride since purchasing it (98 kat 600). I barely rode it last season but I did noticed that fuel consumption was a little off and that the gauge used to read incorrectly as it came near to end of the season (November). I also began to notice that it idle a little rough, I didn't need to use the choke (to start), and it after fired on me.

Did a search, noted that this appears to be common on the Kat (fuel level) When I broke it down, I noticed the plugs were burnt (too rich), the gasket for the fuel sender was detoriated; the sender, on top of the petcock, the gauge and the tank had rust in it. Also the wire looms there were spotty brown coatings on it (like coolant or fuel was leaking).

Did another search, address the tank issue with POR-15.

But here is my question, I could not get all the rust out of the tank. There was a section that still had a slight layer of it. I chose to seal the tank anyway. Was that a good move?

As for the petcock and the sender, should I purchase a new one, rebuilt, or just clean it?

After addressing the above issues; would my next step be to do some carb work?

Thanks for your insight.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

I just have to say that this is not at all what I thought you meant by "busty..."

I remember not too long ago there being a thread about using electrolysis of some kind to get the rust out. Mebbe search that...

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
      I just have to say that this is not at all what I thought you meant by "busty..."
      Same here! I started having visions of a stacked redhead!
      2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
      BMC Notorious 918 HT
      2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

LOL. Yeah but what about rusty part. That mean you guys were expecting to see a 75 yr old with big watermelons. Shame on you .

I remember not too long ago there being a thread about using electrolysis of some kind to get the rust out. Mebbe search that...
        Yeah, I saw that thread with my search. that might help for fuel sender and petcock but the tank is sealed (with the POR-15). Will it be a problem later since I covered the rust that was left back?

Should I clean the petcock and the sender or get a new one?

After I get that squared away, I'm going to work on the carbs but is there anything else I should be aware (particularly w/the carbs & the rust).
        Last edited by professa_riddler; 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
          LOL. Yeah but what about rusty part. That mean you guys were expecting to see a 75 yr old with big watermelons. Shame on you .
          Rusty = Redheads

Dusty = Old

Notice the difference?? (there is a difference, isn't there??)
          2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
          BMC Notorious 918 HT
          2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Did somebody say "Busty???"
            'REMEMBER SOME PEOPLE ARE
            ALIVE SIMPLY BECAUSE IT IS
            ILLEGAL TO SHOOT THEM'

sigpic----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
              Rusty = Redheads

Dusty = Old

Ok, it looks like I'm going to have to change the name of this thread
              Last edited by professa_riddler; 05-05-2009, 02:41 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              sigpic

Comment

It's best to remove all major rust before the por-15, but it also states that it bondes with the slight surface rust from flash rust over when cleaning it. I guess time will tell at this point.

As for the petcock, there is a thread on rebuilding one I posted not long ago. The process I used will clean it fully, and make it like new.

For the fuel sender, I think the electrolysis process for it in a small batch will clean it right up for you with out harming it. The one I left in the tank when I did the process was horribly frozen up and rusted. After, it was mostly clean, very freely moved, and tested fine.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

D@mn it! I was hoping for big set of cans also!
                  Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                  MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                    It's best to remove all major rust before the por-15, but it also states that it bondes with the slight surface rust from flash rust over when cleaning it. I guess time will tell at this point.

As for the petcock, there is a thread on rebuilding one I posted not long ago. The process I used will clean it fully, and make it like new.

For the fuel sender, I think the electrolysis process for it in a small batch will clean it right up for you with out harming it. The one I left in the tank when I did the process was horribly frozen up and rusted. After, it was mostly clean, very freely moved, and tested fine.

Krey
                    Ok, thanks for the info. Yeah, I know I should have removed the rust but I was getting frustrated because I was trying to knock it during my military weekend.

Cool, so no need to get a new petcock, and I'll try your process for the sender.

Does this mean I have rust in my carbs as well?
                    sigpic

Comment

Does this mean I have rust in my carbs as well?
                      If rust was in your tank, rust is in your carbs. If it's running fine at the moment, then I would not say it's a major issue... But it's a bomb waiting to go off and cause issues at anytime. If you have it apart, clean them now.

The can of cleaner I used for the petcock was $20... it will work for the carbs as well.

If you haven't, might be a good time to look at the stage 1 jetkit while your doing this if possible.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        If rust was in your tank, rust is in your carbs. If it's running fine at the moment, then I would not say it's a major issue... But it's a bomb waiting to go off and cause issues at anytime. If you have it apart, clean them now.

The can of cleaner I used for the petcock was $20... it will work for the carbs as well.

If you haven't, might be a good time to look at the stage 1 jetkit while your doing this if possible.

Krey
                        Ok, I'll start to bang away at the carbs as well, It only makes sense since I might need an adjustment and synch. Stage 1, is that Ivans or K & N?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                          Rusty = Redheads

Dusty = Old

Busty, CenCal...Not Dusty, Busty...
                          And I'll dig around later to try and find you some answers- I just rode an hour in the pouring arse rain. Brrrrrr.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                          -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Ok, I'll start to bang away at the carbs as well, It only makes sense since I might need an adjustment and synch. Stage 1, is that Ivans or K & N?
                            Ivan's is a good option if your not going to change out much else. Factory Pro stuff is real good as well. No K & N... that is for filters, and no need for the Kat as it will run better with the stock air filter and box.

I just ordered the jet kit, advancer, and shift kit from Factory Pro myself.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'm wondering now if I would need to change the fuel filter and the corresponding hoses as well. The hoses has rust in it, so I have to assume the filter has particles as well.

It appears I have to break the carbs regardless, so I might as well get started. Also, I think I'm concern about sealing over some of that rust. I guess only time will tell.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X