X

looking for some advice bike wont run

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for some advice bike wont run

I am trying to help a friend get his new bike going. He bought it wrecked and cant get it going. First off it is not a Katana, its a 2003 ZX6, but many of you seem very knowledgeable about most bikes so I figured I would try here first. The bike runs as long as you hold the start button but dies as soon as you let go of it. I first thought it was just cranking the whole time, but you can here the starter shutting off(I think), once it fires. Any suggestions. I would really like to get him going so I can have another person to ride with.
    Thanks, in advance
    Rob

Well, you only need three things for the engine to work (provided it is in good health mechanically): oxygen, fuel and ignition. Oxygen is usually a gimme and ignition is probably the easiest place to start. Is this bike fuel injected or carbureted? You could always spray a tiny bit of starter fluid into the intake to see if she fires. If it will run, you know the ignition system is, at least, functioning.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

I need to see a wiring diagram to be of any help.

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
        oxygen, fuel and ignition.
        not quite. What you need are fuel, spark (ignition), and TIMING FOR COMPRESSION, not just oxygen.

Comment

Don't know about the bike you are working on, but some starter relays have a lead that energises the ignition while you are cranking. Could be the key switch is not energising the ignition and it's only seeing voltage from the starter relay/solenoid while cranking. If this is the case I'd look for ignition fuse/fuses.
          James

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I talked to him today and it is running like a top. He replaced the battery and it took off. Pretty simple fix, I never get that lucky!

Comment

Working...
            X