Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

any ideas for gaining some low-end throttle response?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any ideas for gaining some low-end throttle response?

I just bolted on a custom-made exhaust to my 02 Kat 600, and have noticed since then I've lost a decent amount of low-end throttle. As soon as I get it to about 6K and above, the thing absolutely takes off. Any ideas as to how I can get some low-end response back? Here's the list of mechanical changes:

Custom exhaust (increased pipe diameter by 2)
    5 degree advancer
    Ivan's jet kit, A/F's tuned per Ivan's instructions

Carbs have NOT been synced using carbtune, just visual so far. There isn't a cylinder heating up dramatically above another, they're all pretty uniform.

that should do it

Comment

Lack of backpressure might be the reason why you lost low-end torque
      "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone." - Bill Cosby

ProGrip||Scorpion

Comment

Bloody hell, how much did those run you back if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Cheech View Post
          Bloody hell, how much did those run you back if you don't mind me asking?

+1 and where do I get some?
          Former Marine 3/97-3/01
          MOS 0161 Semper FI!
          sigpic

Comment

I got them on ebay, for $551 BIN, they are 36mm RS series carbs, they also came with all of this:

Comment

Or you could go 3-4 teeth bigger on the rear sprocket & the bike will haul A$$!!! You will lose about 10 mph top end but so what! The new gearing will be WAY more fun!!! Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

I agree Ray, I have a 14/50 gearing combo. My 98+ OEM gearing should be 15/47

Comment

I'd say the loss of low end is definately no enough back flow restriction... but then that would also be why the top end seems more... it needs more flow.

Since it's a custom exhaust, is it possible for you to add in a restrictor of some sort to tweak a little on the pressure?... If you added one that was "on the fly" adjustable you could tweak it to where you want the most power.

I went up 3 teeth on the back of mine, running a 15/50 now. I like it alot as well, and would compensate for that low end a little I think. Best results would be to do both I think....

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                  X