X

ignition problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problems

i have 1993 katana 750 that starts great when warm out but takes a bit when cold. What can i do to change that? Or is it just a cold natured bike? any help would be great. thanks!

The Kat's are a cold-blooded beast. What you can do is install the Factory Pro 5 degree ignition advancer to help with warm-up and throttle responce.

I believe Cyberpoet still sells them. Check in the Vendor section of the For Sale stuff.

I found it, here's his page:

Last edited by squiggy; 05-04-2009, 06:49 PM.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

The 5 degree advancer will definitely help. As will making sure the carbs are cleaned, sync'd and the A/F screws tweaked a bit (really lean from the factory, makes it even colder natured).

Comment

what exactly is a Factory Pro 5 degree ignition advancer and what does it do?

Comment

advances the ignition 5 degrees. Honestly though, there is a rotor at the end of your crankshaft. As the crankshaft spins, the signal generator picks up the ignition timing from the rotor. OEM ignition timing is 4 degrees before top dead center (BTDC). With the advancer you remove the stock rotor and replace it with that. The ignition timing (when spark occurs) is 9 degrees BTDC.
          Last edited by arsenic; 05-04-2009, 09:01 PM.

Comment

a fully charged battery will make a huge difference in cold weather starting.
            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

sounds easy enough. thanks for the info. I think ill try it.

Comment

make sure your choke is choking fully
                89 gs500e, k&n air filter, sv650 rear wheel swap, gsxr rear shock, 06 tank and bodywork, sv650 tail swap,

93 kat 750 v&h ssr2 full exhaust, 99 katana front wheel, a 180/55 on stock rim, post controls, heated grips

Comment

Working...
                X