X

quick carb question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick carb question

Hey all, I hope someone can verify this for me.

I am following the Carb 101 directions for carb tuneups and I'm at the point of visually synchronizing the carbs.

I'm here:

"Reinstall the idle adjuster cable until it just barely touches the starter tab of the carbs. Now look into the engine side of the carbs at the butterfly valves. (There are three small holes – familiarize yourself with them.) Look at carb # 3 and adjust the idle cable until the first small hole (towards the outside of the carbs) on the bottom of the carbs is HALF VISIBLE. Then adjust carb # 4 using its idle adjustment screw, (located from the top
    between the carbs – it’s on the arm that moves when you twist the throttle). Take this carb to the same point by only adjusting the screw. DO NOT adjust the cable any more – it is only for carb # 3 at this point. Next, adjust carb # 1 to WHATEVER carb # 2 is, so they are equal. Then, adjust carb # 2 to the same point as 3 & 4 (first hole half open). Once all four carbs are equal and at the same point, (HALF the first small hole showing
    open) you have visually synchronized your carbs! You are now ready to reinstall them in the bike and synchronize them exactly."

I take "engine side of the carbs" to mean look at carb 3 through the engine-mount (backside) side of the carburetor.

I see the three small holes: "the first small hole (towards the outside of the carbs)", to me, is the 3rd hole as I am looking at it (it is the furthest hole away from me).

Sorry for making this confusing but I want to make sure I don't have this backwards. The idle adjust screw seems awfully far advanced but I don't know.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Adjust so the hole closest to the engine side of the carbs is half-visible. It doesn't really matter what point you use as your reference. What matters is that all 4 carbs are opening as close as possible to the same amount. That will get you close enough for the engine to run so that you can warm it up to do the synch right using a guage. Once you get the carbs back on the bike and the engine started be sure you adjust the idle screw to bring the idle speed up to around 1100-1200 rpm when the engine's warmed up. (Usually, the idle is pretty low with the adjuster just barely touching.)
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Wild-Bill.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Working...
      X