X

Kat dies when I put it into 1st

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat dies when I put it into 1st

I dropped the Kat last week on Friday. Reason being is because I made a squid mistake and stripped the oil pan drain plug. Which caused the drain plug to fall out, oil to drain out, slicking up the back tire, and down I went.

I have re-tapped the oil drain plug and filled the Kat back up with oil. I then fired her up and she purred so pretty. The only problem was that it was raining so I could not take her out for a test run.

Today during my lunch (I only live 5 mins from work) I decided to run her down the block real quick just to make sure everything was good. I fire her up let her run for a min or two and pull the clutch put her in first and she dies. I try a couple more time to the same result.

Have I utterly f*cked my trainning up?

I should have mentioned that I did have my kick stand completely up and when I have it in first pull the clutch in you can barley roll the bike forward or backwards.
    Last edited by Woodmysta; 05-01-2009, 12:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

Does the bike lurch forward and die, or just die?
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

just dies
      Last edited by Woodmysta; 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM.
      Former Marine 3/97-3/01
      MOS 0161 Semper FI!
      sigpic

Comment

Sounds like the kickstand switch to me. Or possibly it just needs a little longer to warm up?
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Sounds like the safety switch - check to make sure the tab on the kickstand is contacting the switch.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Originally posted by Woodmysta View Post
            Today during my lunch (I only live 5 mins from work) I decided to run her down the block real quick just to make sure everything was good. I fire her up let her run for a min or two and pull the clutch put her in first and she dies. I try a couple more time to the same result.

I should have mentioned that I did have my kick stand completely up and when I have it in first pull the clutch in you can barley roll the bike forward or backwards.
            Could you have kinked your clutch cable? I would follow the cable from beginning to end and check for damage as well as checking the connections on each end. 1) it sounds like you're getting it in neutral to run it up but you can sometimes do that whether the clutch is working correctly or not if the bike is turned off. 2) Definitely check the kickstand safety, but if you can't roll the bike while holding the clutch in then it sounds to me like the clutch isn't engaging/disengaging correctly.

Comment

I can roll the bike while in neutral with the bike off. I will follow everyone's suggestions when I get off work I am hoping that it is something minor and not something that will put me out of commission for a while.
              Former Marine 3/97-3/01
              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Woodmysta View Post
                I can roll the bike while in neutral with the bike off. I will follow everyone's suggestions when I get off work I am hoping that it is something minor and not something that will put me out of commission for a while.
                Makes sense, though you said you couldn't roll it at all in gear with the bike off but while holding the clutch in. It would sure be harder to roll, but still it should be movable.

Good luck, hopefully it's nothing serious. Just for the heck of it, what side did you drop it on? I'm assuming the left (tank petcock side).

Comment

The left side.
                  Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                  MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                  sigpic

Comment

It was the kick stand switch. All is good now. Thanks to everyone for the advice.
                    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                    sigpic

Comment

you should have known that noobie!!!

Comment

Yeah when I dropped it last weekend the fall moved the kick switch enough that the bike wouldn't run. But all is good now.
                        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                        sigpic

Comment

make sure you get her all ready to ride. Ill be back tuesday at 330.

Comment

Will do I gotta make up for the last few weekends of been down.
                            Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                            MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X