X

vaccuum leak still?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaccuum leak still?

Ok, so before I let the bike sit for 2 weeks waiting on parts, it was having what I guessed was a vaccuum leak. Wouldn't keep a stable idle, bounced around a range of about 500 rpm's but I'm kind of a perfectionist and stuff like that bothers me. I couldn't exactly figure out where it was coming from, but when i sprayed starter fluid in the general area of the intake boots from the carbs to the engine it would start to rev up.

So I bought all new intake boots with new o-rings and new clamps for both the engine side and airbox side. I put all these on today and was still having pretty much the same problem. I did notice a small gas leak coming from the A/F screw on carb #4, probably due to the o-ring missing when I put my longboy screws in. Could this one o-ring be causing that much of a vaccuum leak?

Also what other areas should I inspect. After riding the bike, I came to a stop and the bike dropped down to like 1000 rpms and then died on me. It's starting to get very frustrating and I don't know where else to look for answers. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys and gals.
    "If you aint first, you're last"

I wouldn't think a small leak from the A/F screw would cause a vacuum problem. Vacuum issues aren't typically associated in the same areas where fuel passes through.

I think.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

That's what i thought too, but i don't know where else to look

Comment

Is the airbox vent capped? It should be. I've read on here before that it is entirely possible to overtighten the clamps around the intake boots.
        "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Really? I do tighten the hell out of the clamps because I don't want a vaccuum leak, I guess it's just gonna take some toyin around with

Comment

Maybe the caps on the intake boot fittings where the carb sync hoses go are brittle and not sealing properly.

Comment

replaced those too

Comment

Did you pull the air filter element and make sure the boots are sealed right? Mine have a tendency to slide off of the carb throat when I tighten the clamps. I stick my hand inside the air box to make sure they seat right.

Comment

Working...
                X