X

Starter Problems?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter Problems?

Okay, So I just bought a 02 Kat 600 with 8000 miles on it. It's my first bike. Ran just fine the day I bought it. Got a call from the seller that night, saying he'd removed the choke cable to lube it and forgot to reinstall. So I don't have a choke (for now). I did try to start it cold the next morning (to no avail), but managed to ride after work. Well now after repeated attempts at cold starting without choke I think I've worn out the bushing in the starter. The starter spins, but without turning the motor. I live right up the street from a starter/alternator rebuilder, and consider myself a decent beginner mechanic, but what's the easiest way to remove the started? Looks like both screws are located dead center of the bike under the carbs. Is there a way to remove the starter without taking off the gas tank and carbs?
    SM

if you figure it out you'll be the first.

Comment

D*mn I didn't want to hear that. I'm thinking of surgically removing 2 fingers so that my hand will fit into the space needed, think that'll do the trick?

Comment

Probably easiest to pull the carbs & provide access.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I had a similar problem. The starter was spinning but the engine wasn't turning over. Before you do anything crazy, try to tighten down the bolt on the left side of the bike that connects the starter clutch to the flywheel. There's a specified torque setting but I don't know what it is...

Good luck.
          Nuff said.

Comment

thanks, i'll give it a try. That's not a problem that would show up from trying to start the bike too much in a short period of time, is it?

Comment

I humbly bow down to the superior knowledge of FullMetal. That's what was up. I took the cover off the starter clutch and had to tighten down that big 17mm bolt, now it starts just fine, but won't stay running. It'll crank, it just idles really low like i should have the choke on, then it'll stall.

Comment

Okay, it turned out to be a minor choke issue, and was repaired without incident. As Willie Nelson said "I'm on the road again". Thanks FullMetal, that tip saved me a ton of $$$ and HOURS of labor and frustration.
                SM

Comment

No sweat dude. I'm happy I could help out. Happy riding.
                  Nuff said.

Comment

While you are waiting for your choke cable, you can wrap a zip tie around the choke slide on the carbs as a temporary fix. Its a brass piece readily available from an opening in the left fairing. Like this:

Let's go riding!

Comment

I've been using my fingers, that zip tie is not a bad idea though. He's supposed to meet me in Myrtle Beach tomorrow, but if he doesn't show i'll use that for sure.
                      SM

Comment

I left a loop in my ziptie .Supeglued it so it wouldn't tighten . Made things easier . Rode that way for almost a year .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

All hail the new king of... uh... Afro-American Engineering? I shudder to think what you can do with a roll of duct tape.
                          SM

Comment

Used electrical tape last night to fix the PCV valve in my car . I kid you not !
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

^^LOL that's great. I've done some redneck fixes, but that takes the cake.
                              BTW Wasn't meant as any kind of a racial crack, no offense to anyone.
                              SM

Comment

Working...
                              X