X

Air Box Trouble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Box Trouble

I recently removed the air box from my 96 Kat. I am really having trouble getting it back on. The hoses that connect to the carbs keep sliding off as I tighten them. It is mostly on now, but apparently not sealing. Rode it a short distance and gas mileage was very poor. Any suggestions?
    What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Take off carbs & airbox so we can start again . here's what you'll wanna do ......
    Take out filter . Loosen all clamps . Insert hand into airbox to push boots onto carbs . Now tighten clamps . Start with the inner , then move to the outer . Once all clamps are on , install carbs/airbox as a unit onjto engine . MUCH easier this way .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

+1
      It's worth pulling the carbs to get the airbox back on. You'll save time and a whole lot of cussing by the time you're done.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

before you pull the carbs...

Remove the air filter from the air box.

Remove bracket that keeps the air filter from coming out with the airbox in place...

Use your hand INSIDE the airbox (where the hold for the air filter is) to push the intake sleeves and make sure they are correct, onto each carb.

Then tighten the clamps.

Comment

I've tried that one before. Didn't work reliably at all.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

get some K&N pod filters?
            the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

get some RS series flat slide carbs, then get some pod filter. UNI foam though, NOT K&N.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                before you pull the carbs...

Remove the air filter from the air box.

Remove bracket that keeps the air filter from coming out with the airbox in place...

Use your hand INSIDE the airbox (where the hold for the air filter is) to push the intake sleeves and make sure they are correct, onto each carb.

Then tighten the clamps.
                Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                I've tried that one before. Didn't work reliably at all.
                That's the way I do it all the time.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I found you get the best results by doing it OFF the bike . Maybe I should add , connect throttle cable at carbs first , and route it to the grip last . SO you're 1: putting on the airbox , 2: putting the assembly on the bike , 3: connecting the throttle cable at the grip . By FAR the eaiest way all-around I've found , and I've tried a few things over the years , believe me .....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Many thanks to all for your assistance on this. I am glad that I asked. I had tried all but the take carbs off the bike method. I guess I was hoping not to remove anything else. I am going to give it a try. By the way, I do have a K&N air filter on the bike. I may want to change that if this UNI foam is a better product. Have had the K&N three years now with no real issues.
                    What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      Take off carbs & airbox so we can start again . here's what you'll wanna do ......
                      Take out filter . Loosen all clamps . Insert hand into airbox to push boots onto carbs . Now tighten clamps . Start with the inner , then move to the outer . Once all clamps are on , install carbs/airbox as a unit onjto engine . MUCH easier this way .
                      I have to dig up a dead thread here. Follow MD's advice. I pulled my carb's today and found the boots were not sitting on the carb throat's the way they should. The clamps kept sliding off the bodies when tightened. I did a dry run and put the air box on the carb's, carb's off motor and air filter out, also I placed the clamp screws at the bottom of the carb's for easier access and better clamping ability. My hand was inside the box pushing the boots onto the carb's to make sure they seated. It was a good seal. When I finish going over my carb's , I will post some pic's.

Comment

Working...
                      X