X

bolt sizes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt sizes

can someone tell me what size the bolts are for the fairings on a 98 Kat 750? are they oem or can I find them at the local hardware store? as you know these things have a tendency to vibrate loose.

Re: bolt sizes

I've been to several hardware stores and fastner supply places to try to find the OEM mushroom headed 2-step fairing bolts for the 98+ Kats and haven't found any place local that carries them outside of the dealer. So when I need one, I pony up the $2 or so the dealer gets for them and he special orders 'em for me. With the cost of shipping from any other source, it doesn't make it worth it to order it from elsewhere (at least for me)...

The other bolts on the bike I get at Ace Hardware (exhaust header bolts, for example).

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I pick up bolts from Home Depot every now and then . Just take another one with you and match it up , or they can tell you the exact size . Bolts I find there arent EXACTLY right (different head) , but they do work just fine .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I know some folks around here have ordered them from online, even got them in different colors. This is why I keep a huge reserve of Blue Thread Lock on hand, with as many fairing bolts as this thing uses, it sure is a life saver!

Comment

M6 fine thread, I believe. Take one with you just to make sure. I actually changed all mine to Phillips headed, just to make fairing removal/reinstallation easier. Our local hardware store (swint-reineck) carries all sorts of metric threaded machine screws/bolts.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

i bought some tasty-nuts... and a t-handle allen wrenches.. makes it easy to take the fairings off.
            Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              I've been to several hardware stores and fastner supply places to try to find the OEM mushroom headed 2-step fairing bolts for the 98+ Kats and haven't found any place local that carries them outside of the dealer. So when I need one, I pony up the $2 or so the dealer gets for them and he special orders 'em for me. With the cost of shipping from any other source, it doesn't make it worth it to order it from elsewhere (at least for me)...

The other bolts on the bike I get at Ace Hardware (exhaust header bolts, for example).

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              I can get 500 quite cheap through one of the suppliers where my bro works. They list them as "buttonhead" bolts though...not mushroom. If I knew enough of you go through them, I would be willing to order 500 of them. I could sell them for 50 cents each to the members on here. If I knew enough people would take 20 for $10 + shipping, I would be willing to pick them up.
              If this interests anyone, just post it. In fact, I might make a post about it to see if I can help anyone out with this problem.
              I happened to get lucky myself. There was an auction on ebay for a box full of misc. bolts and pieces. It cost me around $30 with shipping, but I got all 15 rotor bolts, about 20 fairing bolts, and a pile of others bolts and the rubber moldings that go on the fairings, as well as a few other things. All original suzuki in suzuki packaging. It was a steal.

HINT.....CHECK EBAY! Type in "suzuki bolts" and you will find them. Here is a set here pretty cheap. "Buy it now" for $15.00

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                I can get 500 quite cheap through one of the suppliers where my bro works. They list them as "buttonhead" bolts though...not mushroom. If I knew enough of you go through them, I would be willing to order 500 of them. I could sell them for 50 cents each to the members on here. If I knew enough people would take 20 for $10 + shipping, I would be willing to pick them up.
                If this interests anyone, just post it. In fact, I might make a post about it to see if I can help anyone out with this problem. I need some myself.
                PM Me...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

are all your fairing bolts the same size threads? I have 4 bolt holes that are different from the rest. and as fate would have it, I lose those the most often. They are $7 each at the stealers here.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

<--- knows of a local metric bolt shop where you can find ANY type of bolt

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                      are all your fairing bolts the same size threads? I have 4 bolt holes that are different from the rest. and as fate would have it, I lose those the most often. They are $7 each at the stealers here.
                      On the 98+, there's two different sizes and three different shapes (2 different versions of the 6mm bolt -- 4 with a longer offset, plus the 4.5mm? short versions that fit around the windshield). My price through the dealer (after my freq-customer discount) on these items is right about what you get at RonAyers and I don't pay shipping...

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a few that went MIA.
                        Kan-O-Gixxer!
                        -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                        -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                        -Ohlins Susupension
                        -Various Other Mods

Comment

mojoe, I'd be interested in buying some if you decide to get them.

Comment

Same here Mojoe, but I would like to see your nutz before I buy them

Oh man, I crack myself up sometimes!!!!
                            Kan-O-Gixxer!
                            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                            -Ohlins Susupension
                            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
                              mojoe, I'd be interested in buying some if you decide to get them.
                              +1
                              2002 R1
                              Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

Working...
                              X