X

Oil leak

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil leak

First ride of the year. Running great, ride about 80 miles. Get to a gas station to fill up the tank and I notice my bike is leaking oil. A lot of it. I fill her up with the gas and get her home and its still drip drip drip.

I've been trying to trace the leak but I've been unsuccessful so far. I see lots of oil on the underbelly of the bike.

any suggestions on where to start poking around?
    Last edited by MdL; 04-29-2009, 01:15 PM.
    2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Oh yuck...

How would oil get back there? Oil lines not tightened down maybe?

In the second pic I would suspect a leaking drain plug, but damn. You don't have oil all over your tire do you? Bad business if you do.
    Last edited by scottynoface; 04-29-2009, 01:17 PM.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'd guess bad oil pan gasket
      2000 Katana 600
      2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

I have a very similar oil leak in that location that I had not yet figured where it's coming from.

When I can, I think I'll get the UV tracer fluid to track down the leak.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

take it to the car wash with the lower fairing off, clean off the oil with the sprayer and degrease. After that look for local leaks, i like to use baby powder as it sticks to oil you cannot see easy.
          "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

My bro-in-law has a Bandit with an oil leak. It is leaking from the bolt in the center of the oil pan. Check that bolt. You may have to pull the header off to get to it. All of the oil is getting blown to the back of the motor.

Comment

There appears to be a crush washer under the bolt -- if so, replace that crush washer.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , um , clean it first (brake cleaner is GREAT for that , but be sure to hose it off thoroughly ...) , then be sure that's where it's leaking from .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

searching a dirty oil soaked engine for a leak can be a huge PIA! Time to hit it with the pressure washer and look for the fresh leak!
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Most don't have pressure washers at home , but brake cleaner is cheap , and a WONDERFUL cleaning agent .... It'll clean ANYTHING !
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hahahah, oil leak. i though you got this bro-man...u know who this is!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Most don't have pressure washers at home , but brake cleaner is cheap , and a WONDERFUL cleaning agent .... It'll clean ANYTHING !

AGREED!!!
                        Joker
                        The newest addition to the Family!
                        sigpic
                        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

So its a funny thing. I cleaned the areas really good and nothing has shown itself. I left it alone for a few days to see if it was just really slow and nothing is coming out now. Should I refill it to the operating level and run the bike?
                          2001 Suzuki Katana 750 - Black

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            +2, just keep it the hell away from paint.

Comment

Originally posted by MdL View Post
                              So its a funny thing. I cleaned the areas really good and nothing has shown itself. I left it alone for a few days to see if it was just really slow and nothing is coming out now. Should I refill it to the operating level and run the bike?
                              Yes.

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X