No announcement yet.
X

Regular Self-Maintenance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of it like an old VW Bug - another air/oil cooled engine. Valves have to be manually adjusted (no hydraulic lifters here!), carbs need to be synched, oil is crucial and cleaner is better. The more air actually gets to the fins on the cylinder block the cooler the engine will run. Any time I'm doing anything to the bike and especially if I've got the fairing off I'm in there with a rag, wiping down anything I can get to. I usually check the valve lash about every two years or 6,000 miles (whichever comes first) and, now that I own my own synch guages I'll check the carb balance about every time I change the oil. Nobody mentioned keeping the cables lubed. Makes a huge difference in how the controls work if you keep the throttle and clutch cables lubed and keep a good eye on your tire tread. Getting something stuck in the tread or having iffy tires is way more crucial than on a car. Basically, fuss over your bike. It pays off in a better running, better handling machine.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      IMO?
      Change the Brake fluid every year. If not twice a year. It's dirt cheap, takes 30 minutes or so and you only have one wheel on the system. On a car you have 4 wheels working off the system with some redundancy. One caliper or even two wheels can have failed brakes and you still have 50% braking... 50% failure on the bike? I don't want to think about it..
      And it's almost as easy as changing oil. No brainer.
      Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
      Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
        And it's almost as easy as changing oil. No brainer.
        Particularly with SpeedBleeders...
        (available here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=58596 )

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I lube the chain once a week, or after each ride in the rain. I got almost 15k miles out of my last chain... so I guess that's working for me.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks again for all these tips! Between them and the maintenance schedule posted by CyberPoet, I am definitely more confident now in how to take care of my Kat.
            Mike - Reno, NV
            2005 GSX 600F (Blue/White)

Comment

Working...
            X