X

Transmission, it's out. Now what?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission, it's out. Now what?

Okay so like alot of people, my seconde gear was jumpy and messing up. I would shift into 2nd and give it a little gas and it would go no where and rev or jump back down into netural.

So people are saying don't try and fix just buy a new engine. Well I took some advice from Ray and some others and did it myself. I got it all disasembled and split the cases. The labeling of every part in bags hopefully will save me any trouble's assembling and my manual.

With the cases split, I look and check all the gears look fine. No chiped or ground teeth or metal shavings. I have the shift dogs out too, but I don't know were to go with this now. What is my problem? Or what will determine what I have to replace. I got some pic's all update later if it will help. Any advice, please and thank you!
    sigpic

You could say that?

You mean you have the shift FORKS out also? I need some CLEAR pics of the dogs on the TRANS gears & the receiving slots they go into. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

getting a manual would help too

Comment

-getting a manual would help too

^^The labeling of every part in bags hopefully will save me any trouble's assembling and my manual.

I took the pic's and will update them onto here when I get home. I also took a video of the side to side play of the gears. Hopefully it helps.

Arsenic- Do you have carb parts? I need the plug that goes over the jet and then orings for the tops of the carbs by the vacums.
        sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

uummm, I buy all those carb parts new from BikeBandit. That's not something you want to use used parts on. That reminds me, I got a set of carbs today I gotta rebuild for someone, BBL.

Comment

If I sent you my carbs would you be able to sync them for me? My bike is stock 93 600f.

Here are the pic's hope they help!

Video of my gears, anything look out of movement or place?
            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp7qRernSi8"]YouTube - Tranny[/ame]

sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Your best bet would be to rent the morgan carbtune from TheCyberPoet after you get your bike all back together. Arsenic is pretty good, but he needs your bike there not just the carbs in order to do a sync.
              -2000 "750"

Comment

Yeah that's what I figured. Is it pretty self explanatory and easy? What is 25 for the week if everything goes back right I get my 130 dollar deposit back?

Im trying to find out or decide if I just need shift forks (dogs) or a whole new tranny... any help guys?
                sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Can't really see what the dogs looked like in the video or pics you posted. Need to see the dogs on 2nd, and the slots in 6th where those 2 lock together to see if one or the other (or both) is rounded off.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Would I for sure be able to tell if it was the dogs or is it pretty hard to see?
                    sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

[quote=nater123;1705803]Yeah that's what I figured. Is it pretty self explanatory and easy? quote]

Yea, its easy. I've done it and I probably wouldn't try what you are doing now. One little pointer I can provide is that you should get some replacement rubber caps ready. The caps on the vacuum ports were basically destroyed in their removal.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

hard to tell by the pics
                        ok so lets assume the gears and dogs are ok... to the gears have play on the shafts, can you rock the gears or are they a tight fit on the shaft...
                        check the forks for heavy hear or scoring... thats a sign the shafts are worn and wearing hard on the forks... This can cause the gears to jump out just as worn dogs will
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by nater123 View Post
                          I'm seeing a lot of wear on the end of that fork... hmmm...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That fork is BENT! That's the ONLY way it gets worn like that in that area. Your trans MIGHT be ok but I just can't see well enough in the video or pics. Ray.
                            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes I think the forks are bent or atleast there scored and kind of worn. So I baught a used tran's and forks and shift drum. So hopefully this fix's my problems .

You know the oring on the tops of the carbs by the vacums. If I didnt have any there do you think that would have created my iratic idle?

Right on, thanks alot for the heads up and tips (cheriff)
                              Last edited by nater123; 04-28-2009, 10:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Working...
                              X