X

trying to get 92 kat running

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trying to get 92 kat running

when i bought this bike a week ago it was not running and still is not i have a list of things i am going to replace before i even attempt to start the bike.

oil and filter=10w40 weight
    battery=advance auto parts
    plugs=ngkdr8es

is there a certain chain case oil i should be getting or any transmission fluid???pardon my ignorance on the trans fluid but i am not familiar with motorcycle engines at all.am i getting the right weight oil and plugs?is there anything else i should look at before i attemp to start the bike?any help is greatly appreciated.

here is a pic

IMG_0277.jpg
    1992 katana 600f "working progress"

Replacing the oil, plugs, and battery is a good start. The oil is for the engine and transmission.

I would also recommend:
    - Draining the old gas out of the tank (at least). Kinda depends on how long its been sitting. This may tell you a lot about the other things you may have to deal with (ex. orange or rusty colored gas).
    - If it's been sitting for any length of time and won't start, I'm guessing the carbs probably need drained as well, and possibly are in need of a good cleaning. (See CARBS 101). If they aren't too bad, and you can get it to turn over, perhaps running some Seafoam through 'em will help clear 'em up.

Here's a couple of links to the manual. They may no longer work.

If they don't work, PM me with your email address and I'll try and compress a copy of the manual and send it to you. It's huge.
    2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

i did drain the gas it was a rusty orange color.i was told the bike has been sitting the better part of 5 years or so.i plan on getting to the carbs and i already have the sea foam.im a hell of a snowmobile mechanic but bikes are a little different.i already have the pre 98 manual.also the battery shouldnt be empty of fluid right?also how do i restore the tank to be able to accept new gas?or do i have to buy a new tank?
      Last edited by katana600Frider; 04-28-2009, 09:38 PM. Reason: forgot something

Comment

Nowadays, everyone seems to be quick to put one sealer or another into a gas tank that's a little rusty. Back in the day, we used to remove the tank, empty all the old gas out of it, pour a bunch of ordinary BBs into the tank, repace the gas cap, and shake like hell. After a couple of rinsings with clean gas, you usually had a usable gas tank. You just had to make sure you got all the BBs out. Next, clean the carbs.

Comment

For the gas tank, you primarily just need to clean it out. If it's only rust inside, and it's not leaking, there are a few things you can do.

One I am thinking of trying soon is to use the enviro friendly rust be gone mix from harbor freight, to see how well it works. From the info I got on it, it's supposed to work really well.

There are other options as well... There is a big thread on using electrolysis cheaply, or chemicals. If you choose to use a coating, I highly suggest Por-15. It's totally resistant to oil and gas, and pretty much permanent.

Other coatings will degrade.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

man both ways seem kinda of rough..mess with chemicals or do a hell of alot of shaking.its not that bad it is a little rusty but still looks decent inside the tank.im going to try an automotive store for something to clean the tank out with.anything else i should be looking out for with the bike?

Comment

kerosine inna tank, shake and empty, repeat till the kero comes out clean. you'll prolly have to clean the petcock afterwards. In some bad cases, i've used kero and clean sand. the sand scours the tank fairly well of the goop. make sure to rinse really well and clean the petcock after. also remove and clean the fuel gauge sending unit (the big puck shaped thing onna bottom of the tank). i prefer to remove the petcock and tape over and seal the holes as best you can when cleaning. makes rinsing and emptying the tank easier
              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by fablican View Post
                You just had to make sure you got all the BBs out.
                Yeah , I couldn't get all the bb's out , so I Redkoted over them .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I actually just finished de-rusting my tank this past weekend. I used malt vinegar and BBs. Let it sit for several hours, then shook it up repeatedly over the course of the evening. Took it to a car wash and used a high pressure sprayer to clean it out and blow off any remaining rust fragments. Took a couple times to get all the BBs out before I thought to use a retractable magnet. Came out looking like new. Blew it out with an air compressor and ran a box fan in front of it for a few hours. Well worth the work.

I had bought some RedKote a couple of months ago and ended up not using it after some things I had read. Heard it peels easily, etc. But, I've heard just as many good stories about it. I personally would see if I could get it clean enough without the coating.
                  2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by III View Post
                    I actually just finished de-rusting my tank this past weekend. I used malt vinegar and BBs. Let it sit for several hours, then shook it up repeatedly over the course of the evening. Took it to a car wash and used a high pressure sprayer to clean it out and blow off any remaining rust fragments. Took a couple times to get all the BBs out before I thought to use a retractable magnet. Came out looking like new. Blew it out with an air compressor and ran a box fan in front of it for a few hours. Well worth the work.

I had bought some RedKote a couple of months ago and ended up not using it after some things I had read. Heard it peels easily, etc. But, I've heard just as many good stories about it. I personally would see if I could get it clean enough without the coating.

this seems ind of simple and cheap im going to give it a shot.unfortunatly i have a week to wait so ill keep yall posted

Comment

I've used Redkote a few times . On MY Kat , on a CB360 , and on the project/parts Kat . Yeah , after a few years I can see where it's peeled around the filler , but it don't seem to be clogging my carbs or anything . But I run inline fuel filters , too .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        I've used Redkote a few times . On MY Kat , on a CB360 , and on the project/parts Kat . Yeah , after a few years I can see where it's peeled around the filler , but it don't seem to be clogging my carbs or anything . But I run inline fuel filters , too .....

inline filters dont seem like a bad idea thanks for the info!!

Comment

thank you very much steve that information was very helpfull

Comment

In line filters don't play nice with gravity fed lines like on the Kat... Some get them to work, but if there is a reason to use them... it ussually means they stop flowing gas pretty quick.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X