X

Help me start my Katana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me start my Katana

I bought a 1999 600 katana, it has 5000 miles on it and the oil hasnt been changed in....im guessing 2 years..proly more. I got the bike and the title today, but on the way home the bike had a few probs. Can you guys help me figure it out and an estimate as to cost. Ok here we go first of all the clutch is really loose i mean just resting ur hand on it and its half way down. (im guessing the cable just needs adjusting) The bike cuts of sometimes when I stop at a light. (maybe the carbs need cleaning) I think the throttle needs a little adjusting. I also notice this white type stuff like antifreeze over a small portion of the engine. Also when ever I rev the engine past about 6000 rpm its sounds like it backfires somewhat. Well now my bike doesnt start at all....i connected one of those car chargers/starters to it so its not the battery...im guessing it needs a new tune up really bad? Another thing I noticed, the choke does not go down ALL the way it only moves a bit, could this be the problem? I hear the engine turning and every now and then it sounds like its about to start but doesnt. Anyone has any diagrams or anything I can try to repair myself? How hard is it to take out the plastic all around it?

btw I dunno if this help but when I am trying to start air is coming out of the exhaust and it does smell some what like gas

Comment

first things first...don't try and run it without that oil being changed or you won't have to worry about it running ever again! If it sounds like a backfire, possibly your plugs need to be changed, on second though, you may want to change them anyways, heh!

Comment

1. Oil Change (mobil1 10x4t)
        2. Spark Plugs (NGK or NGK Iridium)
        3. Some Techron in the Gas
        4. Tighten Clutch Cable play at Lever
        5. Check Battery Fluids

Most likely your carbs are pretty gummy inside....but try the above first then restart....

Comment

Is there a bolt like in a car to change the oil? Techtron? Can i get this type of oil or spark plugs at my local auto zone? are the spark plugs visible once i take out the fearings?

Comment

plugs are under the gastank. you must pull the tank off to get the plugs and carb off.

listen to what kickitjp said, you should be ok. and if you have any questions about how to, or need manual goto http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._dept_id~1.asp

throw in your make and model and what part you have in question and they will give you a cutout from themanual.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            Lean in Lean out.
            ------------------------------------------------------
            1993 GSX750F Katana SOLD
            2002 GSX750R Black. SOLD
            2000 TL1000RR silver, SOLD
            2000 yamaha R1 red katana

-------------------------------------------------------

Comment

(A) You do not want to use "car oils" in your Katana. See CyberPoet's "How to Understand and Choose Motorcycle Motor Oils" at MotorcycleAnchor.com -- we sell permanent riding earplugs cheap! for more info. Because of the way the bike is built, you will want to do two oil changes in short sucession (about 15 miles apart) to start with, since the first one will reliquify much of the oil gunk left behind.
              Yes, the bottom of the oil pan has a drain bolt like a car (well, larger than many cars). You will need a torque wrench when reinstalling this bolt -- set to 16.5 lb-ft -- or you will run into serious issues (20 lb-ft will strip out the threads and cause you to need a repair; 13.5 lb-ft or less will cause the bolt to vibrate out and dump oil in front of your rear tire).

(B) Your local auto parts store should be able to order the NGK CR9EK spark plugs for you. Check with the dealer as well to see if you get a better price there.

(C) The carbs probably desperately need to be cleaned. The techron will help a lot, and I would run several tankfuls through with Techron mixed in, but if the bike has been sitting for a year or so, it will probably need to have the carbs removed, disassembled, cleaned thoroughly and reassembled. Expect to need replacement O-rings because the old ones probably dried out and are toast. You may also find rust in the gas tank. If so, see CyberPoet's "How to deal with Rust in your Motorcycle Gas Tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com -- MotorcycleAnchors: because having your bike stolen sucks!

(D) The bike probably needs a 15k service (valve adjustments, safety checks of various bolts, etc -- this service also includes an oil & filter change). Expect it to run just a hair over $300. You can do it yourself, but you'll need some tools, a good service manual, and about 4 to 6 hours the first time you try it.

(E) There are several other things that will need to be addressed in the coming month or two, including replacing your brake fluids and brake lines (unless they were replaced by the last owner -- they're past replacement age).

(F) If in doubt about any cable, replace it. Choke cable first.

Good Luck!
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                C) The carbs probably desperately need to be cleaned. The techron will help a lot, and I would run several tankfuls through with Techron mixed in, but if the bike has been sitting for a year or so, it will probably need to have the carbs removed, disassembled, cleaned thoroughly and reassembled. Expect to need replacement O-rings because the old ones probably dried out and are toast. You may also find rust in the gas tank. If so, see CyberPoet's "How to deal with Rust in your Motorcycle Gas Tank" at MotorcycleAnchor.com -- MotorcycleAnchors: because having your bike stolen sucks!

Absolutely.

Isn't it rediculous to think that some one would neglect any vehcile to this kind of condition. They obviously had more money than brains.
                "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by BobKat2002
                  Isn't it rediculous to think that some one would neglect any vehcile to this kind of condition. They obviously had more money than brains.
                  In theory, yes. In reality, it happens all the time for reasons that can't be foreseen -- military deployments, family tragedies, injury & rehab, etc. Or even just sitting on a dealership floor in the back corner...

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Got it to start! Im guessing I should do a tune up now right? I got this guy to do if for 200 sounds good? and an extra 65$ to clean the carbs. Is that a deal or should I just take it to the dealer? Do 1999 Katana's have carbs or fuel injection. Also you think the timing chain needs adjusting? I hear like its ratteling or something. Wow this thing really picks up its a hell of a lot faster and more powerful than a 250 Ninja

Comment

Well, the rattle is normal to an extent. And no, it's carbed, not fuel injected.

Comment

Originally posted by m2736185
                        Got it to start! Im guessing I should do a tune up now right? I got this guy to do if for 200 sounds good? and an extra 65$ to clean the carbs. Is that a deal or should I just take it to the dealer? Do 1999 Katana's have carbs or fuel injection. Also you think the timing chain needs adjusting? I hear like its ratteling or something. Wow this thing really picks up its a hell of a lot faster and more powerful than a 250 Ninja
                        Depends on what he will actually do for the $200 and how much you trust his mechanical skills. Figure the 15k service at the dealership (which includes valve adjustments, oil & filter change, chain clean/lube/adjust, safety checks of a dozen different things, retorquing various critical bolts to spec) would run you right around $305 - $310 with supplies in most parts of the USA. There is some peace of mind to be had from a reliable dealership; the problem is that not all are reliable -- ask around in your area for who trusts which dealers.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

hmm, ill make a few calls and get some quotes, this guy was recommended to me by somone so im hoping he knows his stuff, I think I rather sit there and watch him work on my bike.

Comment

The other question you should ask yourself is how much do you trust your own mechanical abilities? For $200, you could get a good full tool set (I suggeset sears item #00935155000, on sale $119 [$30 off] til saturday), a suitable torque wrench (Sears item #00944690000, $25), a good manual, feeler gauges, oil, filter, a few other things and have at it yourself. There is very little on this bike that is complicated in any real sense -- the only thing that tends to stump people is tuning the carbs and that is usually because of a lack of access to a good exhaust analyzer (i.e. - a tool issue rather than just a lack of knowledge issue).

Just a thought.
                            Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I plan on eventually getting into tuning up the bike on my own, this is my first bike so i dont want to screw anything up. As I get more comfortable with my bike I will start doing things myself. I do a lot of things on my car myself so im sure a bike is no difference just a lot more room for error. But I do plan on getting a repair manual and such. btw you know of any guides,manuals or websites with useful info
                              thanks for all your help

Comment

Working...
                              X