Clutch Kits

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Kits

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into getting a clutch kit for my '93 Katana 750. I found a seller on eBay. It's a Kevlar Barnett plates plus steel plates and springs. He wants $194.95 plus $11 dollar shipping. I want to know what companies are good and can I find a kit cheaper than what that person is asking. Keep in mind that my bike is a commuter bike. It will not see a track.

I, too, got the Barnett clutch from an eBay dealer (atvrentals or some such) for my '01 Kat6. For some of this dealer's stuff, he cross-ships, and his supplier was.. not speedy.

The clutch and springs are great, just be sure it's got the right number of fibers and plates. Mine was shorted a fiber ><

Oh yeh; don't forget to adjust your clutch properly after getting everything installed, there's a perfect writeup on the forums here: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64698

--B

Comment

a commuter bike, with Barnett clutch springs? Yeah, don't do that.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        a commuter bike, with Barnett clutch springs? Yeah, don't do that.
        THat's what I was thinking. Unless you're a gorilla, it will probably tire your hand out much quicker.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Can I use the clutch kit from a 600 same year on my 750 same year. Any good companies other than Kevlar Barnett? What about EBC? Clutch plates don't have to be sport type. It could be a stock type. i'm not a racer type.

Comment

For me, wasn't too much of a problem; I tested the springs I took out and they appeared to be about the same pull as the replacements (likely the PO installed an aftermarket clutch solution).

Dunno whether or not it's due to conditioning in stop-and-go traffic or what, but I pull mine with two fingers, no problem. Last year, during the first month I had my bike, I certainly felt it, though *grin*

Beefy forearm, for the win!

Oh, and for the auto-pleasure comments that are sure to follow: Quiet, you! =P

--B

Comment

Is there a difference between Barnett Kevlar Friction Plate Kit and Carbon fiber Friction Plate Kit? Asking because the ebay seller is asking for the same price on both and like i said before, this bike is a commuter bike in the city. Means there is a lot of stop and go. So a lot of shifting and clutching.

thank you for your replies Maxxrox.

Comment

As far as I understand, the kevlar clutch catches harder, but is more susceptible to burning if you're silly with the shifting (slipping clutch repeatedly or for long periods of time). I think the carbon fiber is more heat-tolerant and less likely to burn, but doesn't catch quite as hard.

Given the above information, if you're doing a ton of city driving with all the associated stop-and-go clutch action, the carbon fiber might not be a bad idea over kevlar.

--B

Comment

Unless your clutch was abused & the steels are warped or burnt, all you need to do is order the STOCK fibers from any Suzuki supplier. I drag race & am telling you that the STOCK fibers are the best you can get & a lot cheaper than buying a complete aftermarket kit. Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                    Unless your clutch was abused & the steels are warped or burnt, all you need to do is order the STOCK fibers from any Suzuki supplier. I drag race & am telling you that the STOCK fibers are the best you can get & a lot cheaper than buying a complete aftermarket kit. Ray.
                    Its hard to shift out of 1st into nutral. It is also hard to shift in to nutral fron 2nd. I can tell you that the person before me didn't give a crap about the bike or knew what needs to be done.

Sad to know there are people like that treating bikes that way.

Thank you all for giving me a lite knowledge about the Barett stuff.

I looked or thought of getting a stock set up and the site I ordered thing in the past is www.mrcycles.com. They send me the part that they get from suzuki. All the plates put together will cost me $190.89 plus $22.00 shipping. Making the total of $212.89. Now this is all without springs. If I need to change my springs. Than the grand total will be $235.69.

Now I know stock is better. I put my stock shifter in my car last night and it was amazing the way it felt over a short thow shifter I had. But is it worth paying $212.89 or $235.69 for stock, when I can get a higher performance set up for less. I'm just asking.
                    Last edited by Konn750; 04-28-2009, 07:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I prefer EBC over barnett the EBC springs are only 10% stiffer then OEM so the clutch pull is not really noticable...
                      keep in mind the harder compound clutches and HD springs tend to wear more on the steels and aluminum pressure plate then OEM style or EBC plates do.
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I'm just about to put the Kevlar kit in. Got mine for 174.99 + 11 shipping. I was quoted 250+tax @ the bike shop for stock. I'm looking for a lil better performance anyway. My cousin ragged the hell outta this bike before I saved her from him. Bought used for $6000... Sold wrecked to me a summer later for $1000. Now she's all nice again after a ton of tlc and a few grand in new parts, So I get what u mean by the abuse comment konn.

Comment

Working...
                        X