X

Bee Problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bee Problems

This one was unexpected. Today while I was working in the garage, I thought I noticed a bee land on the Kat but didn't notice it fly away. (I should mention that it is currently torn apart, tank off ect...) I just figured that it flew away and I just happened to miss it. Well, a few hours later I was just sitting there staring at the Kat planning my next move when I see a bee land on the bike again (in the general area where the carbs are) and this time I was sure it didn't fly away. So I start inspecting and figure out that the bee was travelling into the vacuum hose for the petcock. So I removed the hose from carb #4, got the air compressor and shot him out (I can without a doubt say that he did not survive the process). So now I know where the bee/s were going, and have to wonder if they could possibly make it into the hole in carb #4. I know that hole is small, but I didn't think it would have fit into the hole in the hose. If so, what could they make go wrong in there. So my question is, should I just try to start it up when its time and see if it has any problems, or should I take the carbs out now and inspect? Today was the first time that I have witnessed bee activity in the garage so don't think they had much time to do anything, but I don't know what problems could be created by a bee making it into the carb.
    -2000 "750"

The only benefit would be making carb #4 run sweeter.

Comment

Pretty sure you should atleast take a look around the bike, All of it. Make sure there aren't any hives or something...
      Riding is like a roll-a-coaster that you control

Comment

A bee fits in that vacuum hose? I would think anything that slightly smells of gasoline will kill them. Thats how u kill wasps, can of gas eats there skin.
        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Odd that you would have a bee go in there voluntarily. But even if it did, it wouldn't get sucked into the #4 carb, because the air doesn't move any significant distance (the vacuum, being a pressure differential, simply leaks down at the engine starts, and then stays low).

But if in doubt, grab a nylon bristle from a paint brush or a broom and poke down into the vacuum passage in the carb -- if it comes back with bee guts, time to open the carbs.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You should've heard the little fellow when I picked up the hose. What concerns me that he made it inside the carb was that it had to be such a tight fit going in that I couldn't imagine it turning around in the hose and I doubt that it would just put it in reverse and shimmy out backwards. I tried tapping on the airbox and carbs to see if I could anger any other potential bees in order to identify them and heard nothing.
            -2000 "750"

Comment

Hmmm , pop the diaphragm cover on number 4 and shoot some air in the hole . . If on'es in there , I'd reckon it'd shoot out where the hose attaches . Or has it just been a REALLY long day .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
                So I removed the hose from carb #4, got the air compressor and shot him out (I can without a doubt say that he did not survive the process).
                That cracked me up, you have just invented the bee-shooter
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I've got the worst luck with bees.... I've had at least 10 encounters with them since I went with a bumble-bee paint job... Twice I've been stung... It's rediculous.

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                    I've got the worst luck with bees.... I've had at least 10 encounters with them since I went with a bumble-bee paint job...
                    =USAF= Retired

"If you can be convinced of an absurdity, you can be made to commit an atrocity." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                      Hmmm , pop the diaphragm cover on number 4 and shoot some air in the hole . . If on'es in there , I'd reckon it'd shoot out where the hose attaches . Or has it just been a REALLY long day .....
                      Thats a good call. Didn't think of that, and it would only take 5 minutes. I bee doing that tonight.
                      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat View Post
                        I've got the worst luck with bees.... I've had at least 10 encounters with them since I went with a bumble-bee paint job... Twice I've been stung... It's rediculous.

Maybe they were trying to mate..............................
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Today at lunch I pulled the top of the carb out and noticed that the vacuum line connects on the engine side of the butterfly. That means there is about zero chance he made it into the carb itself. So worst case is that there is something by the intake valves. How bad would that be?
                          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            Maybe they were trying to mate..............................
                            That's what i'm sayin...hahaha yeeeeeeah...

I can just hear him getting back to the hive:

"Dude, this hot chick totally wants me. And she's HUGE!"

You'll come outside and hear a "ping, ping, ping."
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

New house rule: If you fly into my garage you will be killed. I informed the wife and notified the cats.
                              -2000 "750"

Comment

Working...
                              X