Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Can you (I) jump out the ignition switch temporarily?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you (I) jump out the ignition switch temporarily?

Had another post going about how to get a new key cause i lost my only one the other day and started thinking about this today.

Cant i just put a toggle switch in place of the ignition temporarily until i can get a key made? Obviously securitah is a concern but i figure i can hide it in the plastics...

All I need is to be able to ride it down to the locksmith so i dont have to pay him $100 extra to come to my house. I already have everything apart to sync the carbs too. I have lots of double pole switches laying around here i could use so it would cost me nothing but a few minutes...

Looking at the wiring diagram the ON position on the ignition just connects two pairs of wires together. Today I jumped the red wire to the orange and the bike cranked just fine. Only let it crank for a few seconds but it seems to work. I think the other pair energizes the lights. What is the purpose of the P position on the ignition? Dont think i ever used it... That energizes everything

What do yall think?
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

"P" on a post is parking lights without key
    you could likely jump it but you may short out some thing in the process, $100 service call might be cheap
    I would be tempted to use a fuse in case
    Is the steering unlocked ????
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I did it for a year in college, when I couldn't afford a new switch. Used a disc lock up front to keep it safe....driving off with that still attached is a real ball buster.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

How much current does it look like goes through those wires.... I would need a 10A (at least) switch right?

Also, what is the parking light? What bulbs actually illuminate?
        1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Originally posted by jdumont View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

How much current does it look like goes through those wires.... I would need a 10A (at least) switch right?

Also, what is the parking light? What bulbs actually illuminate?
          on the posts the light between the headlight and wind screen and the tailight come on when "P" is selected nothing else
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Oh yea thats right....

That one orange wire at the ignition turns into lots of orange wires at fuse box...
            Thats the only thing worrying me now. Dont want my switch and fuse to blow while on the road!

Comment

I believe I read something about hotwiring a post would short itself out in a matter of minutes as a theft-protection measure .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

hmmm wonder how the ignition would do that...
                Ill check into that

Comment

Just wanted to close this thread out. On my 1994 Kat I was able to make up a harness using a 16A switch and the ignition connector from my parts bike. Ran like this for a couple of days with no issues. Switch never got hot or malfunctioned. Friday I dropped the bike off at the locksmith who made me three new keys for $45. Not too bad if you ask me considering i didn't have to remove the ignition or anything.

I would be willing to loan out this harness if anyone needs it for the cost of shipping.

- Josh

Comment

Working...
                  X