X

someone help,06 kat,very tough shifting

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• someone help,06 kat,very tough shifting

im not sure whats going on,but i bought my bike brand new06 left over,got to 600 miles,the thing shifted smooth no problems at all,so i picked her up at the dealershipafter the first service and paid 170 bucks,so i go out today for my ride,shiftings all right,i get of my exit,try to downshift and cant,it wouldnt move,so i blip the throttle a little and it downshifts and its notchy as hell,get home,and i see the oil window is all oil,not where it should be, i siphoned some oil out to bring it to at the full line,go for ride,not as bad but,but im still have a hell of a time getting into first or second,and when i came back i could even get it into neutral,it kept going to first or second,sory for the long post ,but i dont understand what happen to my bike uuggghhhh!

When I first had my Kat do this, the weather was cold. After the weather got warmer, I could hit Neutral every time. It is just picky with the temperature.
    Mine eventually just went away... Hope you have some luck...

Where are you in PA ???
    2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
    Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
    "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
    Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
    Veteran of the United States Air Force.
    "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

im in pottstown pa, yeah, i read all these post about 1st n 2nd gear being really clunky, i never had anything like this on my 02sv650, but i guess thats a different engine and internals, i like this bike but after tonight i go a freakn headache, im still going to call the dealership tomorrow,and asked why the oil was so full,and after i siphoned it and it didnt get any better i drained the oil and put 15 40 rotella back in it which did improve it a little bit,but it is nothing like it was before i dropped it off to be serviced at the dealership.

Comment

Go to WHEREVER you LIKE & buy some Motul oil. Or Walmart for Mobil1 10/40. About 4 liters will suffice. Change the oil in the motor & the filter, but DON'T change the filter, just empty it & re-install the filter. Put back the CORRECT amount of oil without OVERFILLING & you will be happy again when you go ride the bike. Or get the oil & take it back to the dealer & raise HE!! with the service manager & make THEM do it! I am an ex-dealer mechanic & a GOOD service manager will listen to you if you are calm & INSIST it be done because the mechanic was UN-professional & did NOT do his job CORRECTLY! Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by newjack76 View Post
          and put 15 40 rotella back in it which did improve it a little bit,but it is nothing like it was before i dropped it off to be serviced at the dealership.

is that oil rated for the bike ??
          If it is the 15w40 rotella for deisels I dont think it is right for your bike
          I use either Bellray semi synthetic or Mobil1 MX4T full synthetic 10w40 grade
          BOTH are motor cycle specific oils
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Yep, I'd try some synthetic in it.
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

weLL guys i took the bike to the dealership today and the tech that did the service came on out and took her for a ride, he came back and said he adjusted the clutch at the perch,and that it is a still a new transmission,with 755 miles and like many of the post on here said,thats how these kats are,clunky,and i say obviously i must of been riding the bike like a wuss,im going to start shifting like a man. so the problem is solved, it think it was me, thanks for the advice given to me,this site is PRICELESS

Comment

does it have the OEM suzuki filter?
                if not change it now....
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

yep, i only use the suzuki filters,and rode alot today and had fun,just have to get more miles then i plan on using mobil 1 synthetic like everyone recommends, but at what mileage can i switch to synthetic? im close to 850 after today.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                    is that oil rated for the bike ??
                    If it is the 15w40 rotella for deisels I dont think it is right for your bike
                    I use either Bellray semi synthetic or Mobil1 MX4T full synthetic 10w40 grade
                    BOTH are motor cycle specific oils
                    15w40 Rotella won't hurt your bike, people have been using it for years
                    with no ill efects. I just started using Rotella synthetic 5w40 and she runs smoother and quieter and shifts better than when I used Motul semi syn.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

i never had any problems with the rotella 15 40 in my old sv and i got ride of that with almost 50,000 miles on,and i use it in my dr350se also with no problems

Comment

I have an 06, and have NEVER had "clunky shifting" when I am riding.
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

I went from a 2000 Ninja 500 to my 03 Kat 600 and the Kat is very clunky... I'm somewhat disappointed.
                          '03 600 Kat
                          '00 Ninja 500R - *sold*

Comment

Originally posted by newjack76 View Post
                            ,and i see the oil window is all oil,not where it should be, i siphoned some oil out to bring it to at the full line
                            It sounds like what happened was the clutch was dragging in the oil level. With a wet multi disc clutch, if they are submerged or dragging in oil, they won't release properly and you will have a horrible time.

In my opinion, that sounds like what happened. I don't understand why it was still a little sketchy after that.

WAIT, I just had a memory. At 1500Km on my bike (06 - 600) I had a shifting issue and I think it might have had something to do with clutch adjustment or the fact I was shifting too gently. I didn't go to the stealership, I just started bagging it a little and it cleared up, hasn't happened in a long time, I'm at 9000Km now.

Comment

This may be more of a common problem than we think. Mine clunks a bit from 1 to 2 but its better in the high gears. Sometimes neutral can be a pain to find! I just live with it myself
                              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                              Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                              R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                              1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                              RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                              3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                              Black painted seat and rear trim,
                              Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

Working...