Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Only fireing on right 2 cylinders(1983 Katana 1100)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only fireing on right 2 cylinders(1983 Katana 1100)

First off hello to everyone as I am new to this site. A little background on the bike(s) first and foremost. I picked up 2 '83 katana 1100's for the grand sum of $400. One bike is complete and the other is in boxs. Both bikes were promised to run and I believe they do (the guys brother that inherited them was a certified Suzuki mechanic before he passed away). I am trying to get the complete one up and running right now. The carbs were not on it when I bought it and I found them in a box along with a set of, get this, CR Specials! I have put the stock carbs back on and cannot get the 2 left cylinders to suck gas. With it running on the 2 right cylinders I can hold my hand over the 2 left ones and prime them and it will run great for a second or two till the gas is vacated from the 2 left carbs. I purchased a stock airbox off ebay but have not recieved it yet. From what I have read these carbs rely on vacuum and I believe this is a big part of my problem. I have taken the carbs apart twice and cleaned them and they are spotless. The bikes came with 2 sets of pod filters, k&N and Vance and Hines. It has a Vance and Hines exhaust on it also. I have read the Carbs 101 thread as well as searched the other threads for the last week but cannot find an answer to my question. I look forward to meeting all of you and appreciate all input on this subject.
    1983 Katana 1100.

If it's truly a vacuum problem, start with inspecting the rubber diaphrams for wear, poor fit/seal. I'd go through and replace every rubber piece I could find as it's likely to be quite worn by now. It almost sounds like the floats on 1&2 aren't working correctly. I'd replace those 2 as well. See where that gets you. You might be into it another $100 with all that. Be patient, these CV carbs are sensitive to a lot of stuff.

Comment

Me and the father in law messed with them again today with no progress. Swapped on a gas tank with a new petcock and inspected all the boots. No leaks detected with a spray bottle of soapy water. It runs great with a sheet of sturdy plastic placed across the back side of the carbs with a little variance in the gap (keeping the carbs from sucking the plastic completely against them). I'm just going to wait until my airbox comes in before messing with it anymore. I just cannot see how guys use the pod filters on these bikes without any vacuum.
      1983 Katana 1100.

Comment

Randy, I am an engine builder/tuner & drag race & restore GS1100s & 1150s. Call me at 714-356-7845 & I'll help you out. I am an ex-dealer mechanic & have been working on these since 1977. Ray.
        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

check the valves.
          Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Working...
          X