X

carb maintenance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb maintenance?

Hey i got a 99 Kat 750 last march and the guy I bought it off of said he had done work to the carbs and replaced the primer over then winter. So I'm wondering how often should I clean the carbs or when should i do it? I don't have the manual.
    Do I do it every few K's like you would an oilchange or only when a problem arises or what?
    Also how can I tell if the carbs need to be cleaned of worked on
    1999 Katana 750

Once you get the bike running correctly, as long as the bike doesn't sit for more than a month or so, the carbs require nothing but a re-sync whenever you do a valve adjustment. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

WTF is a "primer" ?
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
          WTF is a "primer" ?

Its the bulb you squeeze to get the blinker fluid flowing.

Comment

I had a friend one time how we convinced to go into to ace hardware and ask if they had blinker fluid!
            sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
              Once you get the bike running correctly, as long as the bike doesn't sit for more than a month or so, the carbs require nothing but a re-sync whenever you do a valve adjustment. Ray.
              I disagree Ray, over time, sitting or not you're going to get deposits in your carbs.. Also since the linkages are all mechanical you need to synch the carbs regularly. Not more then every few years, but more often than just after valve adjustment...

Comment

I think you should do a valve adjustment more then once every few years. In which case, yes sync after a valve adjustment.

Comment

I find m'self doing both once a season. I gotta admit tho tearing the damn bike down gets to be a pain in the azz. So I make it a point to do it all at once ..plugs, carbs valves ect! infact its just about due....SIIIGH : (

or you can follow the old rule ..."If it ain't BROKE....Dont fix it!"

I had a friend one time how we convinced to go into to ace hardware and ask if they had blinker fluid!

You could say that?

I had an old G/f who believed that any stop sign with a white rim around it was optional!! The cop didnt think it was funny!
                  Last edited by JokerZwild; 04-25-2009, 01:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  Joker
                  The newest addition to the Family!
                  sigpic
                  stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    I think you should do a valve adjustment more then once every few years. In which case, yes sync after a valve adjustment.
                    Well that is mileage dependent. carb synch isn't..

Comment

actually, a valve adjustment on a pre 750 (your bike) is every 4000 miles or 12 months.
                      Last edited by arsenic; 04-25-2009, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Peter, I don't know what your work experience is but I am an ex-dealer mechanic & have worked on Katanas since they first came out in 82. Yes, 82, the FIRST ones. Unless the bike sits for a long period of time, or is in a REALLY dirty environment, the carbs only need to be synced after valve adjustment. Where do you read any SUZUKI document that says anything else? I'm not trying to be critical, I'm curious where you are getting info I have never seen in a Suzuki shop manual. Thanks, Ray.
                        85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          actually, a valve adjustment on a pre 750 (your bike) is every 4000 miles or 12 months.
                          I ride more than 4k/year , so it'd be MORE than every 12 months . But I usually do it every year or so .

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                          Peter, I don't know what your work experience is but I am an ex-dealer mechanic & have worked on Katanas since they first came out in 82. Yes, 82, the FIRST ones. Unless the bike sits for a long period of time, or is in a REALLY dirty environment, the carbs only need to be synced after valve adjustment. Where do you read any SUZUKI document that says anything else? I'm not trying to be critical, I'm curious where you are getting info I have never seen in a Suzuki shop manual. Thanks, Ray.
                          I BELIEVE I read a scan of a service manual that said something about synching every XXX miles . And then anytime you hit something (like say , the ground ) , a synch check may be called for .
                          Last edited by md86; 04-25-2009, 05:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Okay so i'll try to do it every year or so, dpending on my milage i guess.
                            thanks guys!
                            1999 Katana 750

Comment

I could care less what the manual says...

Comment

Working...
                              X