X

Two Interesting Questions... Well, at Least to ME They Are

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Interesting Questions... Well, at Least to ME They Are

1. I'm having trouble starting my '99 750 Kat. It makes no noise, but if I turn the handlebars and hold the starter in, it'll fire up after a little bit. *And a new development: my headlights won't work on low beam*

2. I took my two new tires and chain and sprocket kit to a acquaintance/friend who runs a shadetree garage. Another friend who rides introduced us. How much should I pay him to put them on (I have none of the equipment or knowledge to do it myself).

Any answers?

1) some sort of wiring issue I'd guess.

2) Depends on how close you are. I'd be willing to do that stuff for a good friend for free, a somewhat good friend for a 12 pack of beer, and a friend of a friend for $20 and a 12 pack. If you went to a shop, you'd be paying over a $100 so I wouldn't be mad if he requested $100 from you.

Comment

2. If he's decently fast, I would not think it would take more than 1.5 hours, and that is being generous. Trained techs get avg of $75 per hour shop time, so... you do the math on what it's worth to you.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Update

I replaced all of the fuses. While riding back from Auto Zone, the tail and headlights went out completely (!). Brand new turn signal on the left side won't work now, and the signal flashes fast like the bulb needs replacing (??).

Still think this is a wiring problem? Is it a bulb issue too? Where do I start looking (and how do I get there).

Comment

Originally posted by Eight Jade Horses View Post
          I replaced all of the fuses. While riding back from Auto Zone, the tail and headlights went out completely (!). Brand new turn signal on the left side won't work now, and the signal flashes fast like the bulb needs replacing (??).

Still think this is a wiring problem? Is it a bulb issue too? Where do I start looking (and how do I get there).

follow wiring away from handle bar , check harness plugs
          OR
          connect a booster cable to - neg on battery and other to frame in case it is a ground issue
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

+1 on checking harness plugs
            2000 Katana 600
            2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              2. If he's decently fast, I would not think it would take more than 1.5 hours, and that is being generous. Trained techs get avg of $75 per hour shop time, so... you do the math on what it's worth to you.

Krey
              techs don't get $75 per hour, the shop does

Comment

Chain/sprockets & tires are ..... not tough , but not easy until you know some tricks . Interested ? It ain't THAT hard once you get learnt .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  techs don't get $75 per hour, the shop does
                  Well heck, I didn't realize I needed to spell that out for you, but glad you could read through the lines Chris.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Added info

Forgot this part : Things all went downhill after I accidentally hooked my booster cables up backward to the battery.

(I think I can hear the collective, "Awwwwwww! You shoulda said that in the first place!!" I just realized that I never even mentioned that! My fault.)

And as for part two? He took about 4 hours and charged me... um... ahem... ($275). And no, he did not give me a happy ending or a reach around afterward.

F my life.

Comment

No , I doubt it was the jump if "I turn the handlebars and hold the starter in, it'll fire up after a little bit. *And a new development: my headlights won't work on low beam*" .
                      That's a wire issue . And the bulb is the likely culprit with the headlight issue . They DO go out over time .....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Forgot this part : Things all went downhill after I accidentally hooked my booster cables up backward to the battery.

(I think I can hear the collective, "Awwwwwww! You shoulda said that in the first place!!" I just realized that I never even mentioned that! My fault.)

And as for part two? He took about 4 hours and charged me... um... ahem... ($275). And no, he did not give me a happy ending or a reach around afterward.

F my life.

I will send you some azz cream
                        Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

did you check your wires for melting and such?

** always agree to a price prior to having a backyard mechanic do any work on your sh1t. (or yeah, he'll poke yours from the inside) =)
                          Last edited by kat_kitten; 04-25-2009, 06:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                          # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                          [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Latest Update

Originally posted by kevin2502000 View Post
                            I will send you some azz cream
                            Thanks. I'll take two cans, please. (*That won't happen again. )

I replaced the tailight and it's working now. I'm getting some headlights shortly, and I assume they'll work too. The back turn signal light burnt out, so it looks like I'll have to buy a new set (unless Cycle Gear actually sells the replacement bulb for the lemon of a turn signal set they sold me).

The ignition thing I stilll haven't figured out. I do know that it doesn't matter with turning the handlebars. If I hold the starter button in for about 10 seconds, there's silence and then it fires up. I don't see anything glaring on any of the wires, but I've never looked at them before, so I don't exactly know what I'd be looking for. (This all involved me taking the fairings off for my first time!) I squeezed on just about every harness plug I saw to make sure they were plugged in tightly.

There is something unplugged, bu I'm guessing it's for some type of diagnostic. It's in the pic.
                            Attached Files

Comment

There is something unplugged, bu I'm guessing it's for some type of diagnostic. It's in the pic.
                              Looks like the california fan controller plug. If your bike is not a cali model, it would not be hooked up to anything, and is not used at all.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X