X

Lost ignition key question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost ignition key question

Hi all, somehow in the melee of fixing my Jeep last weekend I lost my garage key chain which also has my only bike key on it. Just called the local locksmith who told me about $150 to come out and make a key or $35 if I can get the ignition out and bring it to him.

Here is my question....

Isn't the key the same for the tank and seat as it is for the ignition? Couldn't I bring him the easier of the tank and seat locks and have him make it from that?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by jdumont; 04-24-2009, 10:36 AM.
    1993 Kat 600 - (Parts bike)
    1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Yes. It's the same key. If they want they will be able to make it from both locks (tank & seat)
    Then do what I did. Get a copy, put grease on it, wrap it in plastic an duck tape and hide it somewere on your bike. It's easy and can seve you from a lot of trouble. Once I lost my key 700 kms from home... Boy, it feelt relly good to have that spare key!

Comment

Thats cool. I thought that the ignition key would work all the other locks but a key made for the other locks wouldnt work in the ignition?

Kind of like a valet key. It will open the doors and trunk but not operate the ignition.

Did you actually try this?

Thanks for the help
      Josh
      1994 Kat 600 - Jardine full exhaust, Factory Pro Jet Kit, Pirelli Diablo Stradas, Fender CHOPPED, repainted plastics and tank

Comment

Originally posted by Barreira View Post
        Yes. It's the same key. If they want they will be able to make it from both locks (tank & seat)
        Then do what I did. Get a copy, put grease on it, wrap it in plastic an duck tape and hide it somewere on your bike. It's easy and can seve you from a lot of trouble. Once I lost my key 700 kms from home... Boy, it feelt relly good to have that spare key!
        Negative on that Ghostrider, the tank and seat lock don't have all the tumblers needed to cut a correct key. You'll have to pull the ignition and take it in. Or you can order a brand new ignition switch with two keys from Dennis Kirk or other online bike vendor.
        Last edited by Trackerrrr; 04-24-2009, 02:14 PM.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I kind of figured it would be too easy...

So the manual says to drill out or hit the shear head bolts counter clockwise with a punch to get them out. Are they hidden under the top cover of the ignition assy or do they come out from below....

Comment

real quick question, i am getting a seat lock with no key from another member on KR. if i get a blank key, will a locksmith be able to make a key to fit it? i dont mind the extra key at all, just would like my seat to lock properly. haha!
            "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

You CAN go around using the actual key/lock on the seat thing . I did for a while because ..... SOMETHING was up . Can't remember exactly why I did that , but you CAN . I'll fill you in if you wish ....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
              X