X

Type of oil?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of oil?

I just bought an 88 katana 600 and am planning on changing the oil. I bought a fully synthetic 10w-40 to put in, but some people are telling me not to use fully synthetic. What should i do?

Synthetic is great. Did you get a synthetic motorcycle oil??? Which one?

I use Shell Rotella T synthetic, it is great stuff and cheaper than the other motorcycle synthetics
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

There is a myth circulating for years that if you change from "dinosaur" oil to synthetic you'll cause leaks. Is that why you hesitate? If so, it is a MYTH.

Comment

I bought Castrol Syntec 10w-40 fully synthetic... now I just have to buy a filter wrench that I was not aware that I was going to need

Comment

You might not "need" the filter wrench although they are for sale for a decent price from Cyberpoet I think. I was able to get mine loose with a large pair of pliers and my best "robo" grip on oil changes after that.

Comment

Ya, Im gonna have to look into the wrench

Comment

I recommend a strap wrench. I picked up mine at Pep Boys. It was not expensive at all. CHeck out this thread for more info: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=52202

Comment

The last strap wrench I had broke as I was trying to remove a stubborn filter on a car so I think I am probably gonna go with the filter wrench with 3/8 adapter

Comment

Don't know if you have any in your area but Autozone also sells the filter wrench for like 3 bucks.
                  We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Originally posted by nick0484 View Post
                    I bought Castrol Syntec 10w-40 fully synthetic... now I just have to buy a filter wrench that I was not aware that I was going to need

Is that MOTORCYCLE specific Castrol or Auto Synthetic oil?

You DO NOT want to use any automotive oil that has "energy conserving" on the label.

I highly recommend you do a search here for oil and use TheCyberPoet as the author.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

It is just Castrol Syntec SAE 10W-40 Full Synthetic Motor Oil. I do not see energy conserving at all on the label.

Comment

that kinda sounds like car oil... It should say safe for motorcycles somewhere on it.

Comment

Rotella T Synthetic ... like $19 for a gallon jug at wally world. Technically it's for diesel trucks, but works great in 99% of bikes. Some motorcycle specific synthetics run $19 or more a quart!
                            - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                            2005 F4i -

Comment

Originally posted by JAVELIN350 View Post
                              that kinda sounds like car oil... It should say safe for motorcycles somewhere on it.
                              Yeah man. I was about to write the same thing. Sounds like car oil to me also. Look for the little motorcycle icon on the front of the bottle. I think castrol is changing their motorcycle oil from white bottles to green ones so you should be able to pick up the white bottle stuff for cheap. I got mine on sale for $2 bucks a quart a few weeks ago. Also keep in mind that it takes a little over 4 quarts for you to see the oil through the little looking glass. I kept thinking something was wrong cause i poured in 4 bottles and still couldn't see any oil in the glass.
                              We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Working...
                              X