X

94 katana transmission

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94 katana transmission

Hey, New to all this. I bought a 94 katana just as a beginner bike. The problem is 2nd gear is out of it. I was wondering how hard it would be to buy a used transmission and put it in. would it be worth it? how much would a used transmission be?

Buy an engine/transmission combo and shove it in. Much cheaper and a lot less headache.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

How much do you think that is? Would it even be worth it?

Comment

You can find them for as little as $150, depending on condition. It's worth it if you have the time and the desire to fix the bike up.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Where would a guy find them at?

Comment

Ebay, craigslist, internet forums, junkyards etc

Comment

I have 2 GOOD GSXR 750 6 speeds that will bolt right in. I'll sell you one GUARANTEED to be good for $175.00 + shipping to you. I can't get over how SCARED of case splitting & transmission swaps most people on this site seem to be! With the motor on my table, I can disassemble, split the cases, swap the trans, & reassemble in 2-2 1/2 hours. Ready to put back in the bike! Let me know if you want my number & I'll help you with the job. Let me know if you want one of the trannys also. Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by bies08 View Post
                I bought a 94 katana just as a beginner bike.
                You're right Ray, he should crack his cases and dig through the transmission on his first bike instead of just replace it and be done with it

Comment

I find it quite entertaining to read the posts of 20 year olds that probably learned everything they are stating by reading other posts on the internet. Try DOING to learn & see how much further you get in the world. Experience makes you a WHOLE lot more believable, ESPECIALLY at 20! I was running 7s in the quarter with stuff I built before you were BORN! LOL!!! Some people aren't afraid to dive into something to learn & KNOW it is actually the best way to learn something. Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                    I find it quite entertaining to read the posts of 20 year olds that probably learned everything they are stating by reading other posts on the internet. Try DOING to learn & see how much further you get in the world. Experience makes you a WHOLE lot more believable, ESPECIALLY at 20! I was running 7s in the quarter with stuff I built before you were BORN! LOL!!! Some people aren't afraid to dive into something to learn & KNOW it is actually the best way to learn something. Ray.
                    Thanks dad.

Comment

No problem son, I will share my knowledge with anyone it will help. You go have a nice evening Cupcake. Ray.

Comment

Im in the same boat, 2nd gear gone . Been driving it reving high and jumpin to 3rd but now I think the dogs or whatever are going because 1st is kind if jumpy sometimes. First bike for myself, I want to do the tranny job but don't know if I will be able too. I have looked for engine's but there all so far away and it's like 400-500 to ship the things. If one of us do it we should do it with pics for the others. It would be worth it, If I had a thread with pics rate now of someone doing it, awww . haha. Good luck man, let me know if you go ahead and do it.
                        sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

If there is someone in SoCal that needs it done, tell them to contact me & we can get it done. Ray.

Comment

When I bought my bike and put it together, 2nd was gone in mine too. i bought a tranny off ebay and started putting it in myself. No help at all except for a Clymers book. I succeeded in tearing it down, splitting the case, installing the new tranny, then for some reason, the case cracked on it's way back together. I think it was due to the force I had to use to get it apart. It had been apart once before and had something similar to jb weld holding it together. Completely not my fault.

Moral of the story.... It CAN be done, even for somebody with extremely limited knowlege of bikes and their workings. I learned a lot from that teardown, and carried it with me.
                            94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

I think im taking your advice, Im going to try and roll with installing a new one. What else should I look for when down there just besides the gears on the tranny.
                              sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Working...
                              X