X

94 katana transmission

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
    i find it quite entertaining to read the posts of 20 year olds that probably learned everything they are stating by reading other posts on the internet. Try doing to learn & see how much further you get in the world. Experience makes you a whole lot more believable, especially at 20! I was running 7s in the quarter with stuff i built before you were born! Lol!!! Some people aren't afraid to dive into something to learn & know it is actually the best way to learn something. Ray.
    10.7??

Comment

Transmissions are simple
      grab a manual and digital cam and go to town

they are all basically the same and done correctly come apart easily. the first timer can do it in a day and for a HELL of a lot cheaper then swapping in another engine...

my advice is take a lot of pics... and use a lot of zip ties manuals don't always have the best pics so before you remove something snap a pic, remove it and snap another... this way if you have to to can blow up and print them and use them to help you get it back together.
      When you do remove a part like say the clutch zip tie it together in the exact order the parts came off. that way if you don't get back to it for a week or so you will know where every washer and gear whet.

I do this with every job because I don't have a manual for every ATV, Dirtbike, road bike out there... in fact I own about 4 manuals...
      the thing about transmissions is beople see all the gears and rods etc and panick, in all honestly you can pull the clusters out together and they only go back in one way

see the pics below of a TRX350FM for an example

98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Does anyone know if a 80's katana 6spd will work in my 93 600f katana? I can't find info anywere and need to know if I buy this 88 or what ever year it is if it will fit.

Do you know what years are swapable with mine, 93 suzuki katana gsx 600f.

Thanks!
        sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

All of the 600 Katana transmissions from the years you listed will go right in. So will the 750 GSXR & Katana 6 speeds. Ray.

Originally posted by GSXfs600 View Post
          10.7??
          7s as in 7.80s. 1570cc GS motor, car tire chassis, all motor, NO turbo or nitrous. It WASN'T a Katana! 10.7s would be a FAST katana. Ray.

GREAT post Hardly! This is what I like to see! People that DO, HAVE done, & WILL do! Ray.
          Last edited by suzukiray; 04-24-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Well either way i want to fix it. do i just need the gears or what all do i need? and any ideas on a paint job? i went to school for it painting and body work so im going to paint it and make it look good. also i think the clutch is going to go out in a little bit. would it be easier to just replace the clutch when i switch the transmission?

Comment

I agree with you, let me know how much you buy the parts for what all you replace and where you buy them?
              sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by bies08 View Post
                Well either way i want to fix it. do i just need the gears or what all do i need? and any ideas on a paint job? i went to school for it painting and body work so im going to paint it and make it look good. also i think the clutch is going to go out in a little bit. would it be easier to just replace the clutch when i switch the transmission?
                Wait until you have it apart and replace what you need

usually depending on the damage you will want to replace the driven and drive for 2nd gear and their driven gears with engaugement dogs (i believe its 6th in the Kats)
                I often replace the shift forks if they are showing signs of wear or bent.
                A tube of Threbond 1104, 1211
                and a gasket kit.
                Usually costs less then $250 in parts/supplies to rebuild a trans with a blown gear and forks...
                I have had a couple apart that only needed a $.75 c clip
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Hey Hardly, I use the BLACK 1207B for gluing the case halves back together as it doesn't show like the 1107 in gray, & it is all I've ever seen called for on the GSs for case half sealer. Just what I use. Ray.
                  85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Oboy , moorsickle jigsaw puzzle : .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Should I take my tranny out and parts and see what I need to replace before ordering. What should I look for? Teeth missing, dogs bent etc?
                      sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Well , if 2nd gear's gone , there IS actually a couple threads round here somewheres where others have mentioned what you should go ahead and replace whilst in there ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Can't find them, how hard is it too see if it's the dogs or shift forks. My gears look fine.
                          sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                            I have 2 GOOD GSXR 750 6 speeds that will bolt right in. I'll sell you one GUARANTEED to be good for $175.00 + shipping to you. I can't get over how SCARED of case splitting & transmission swaps most people on this site seem to be! With the motor on my table, I can disassemble, split the cases, swap the trans, & reassemble in 2-2 1/2 hours. Ready to put back in the bike! Let me know if you want my number & I'll help you with the job. Let me know if you want one of the trannys also. Ray.

Yeah I want one of those. I have a 96 katata 600f but I'm thinking of replacing the motor to a 750cc. What you got?

I have a 96 Katana 600F and I'm thinking of upgrading to a 750cc. What do you have?
                            Last edited by katanarider; 04-30-2009, 10:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

rebirth of an old forum, but ray, would you happen to have any gsxr trannys lying around still?

Comment

Working...
                              X