X

foolproof carb cleaning !!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• foolproof carb cleaning !!

other than this board i frequently surf the net for whatever info i need regarding problems that i may be having . ( bike , car , etc. ) well i came across this site that says that to clean your carbs absolutely clean to boil them in lemon juice . anyone ever done this ??

Nope. But have used a slice of lemon in a cup of water in the microwave and did a really great job on the microwave, so who knows?

Suppose you'd have to clean/rinse the carbs with a solvent afterward to remove any residue (pulp if any, fructose contained in lemon...)...and/or heat in oven at low temps for any remaining H2O?
    2004 GSX750F

Comment

oh yeah the rinse cycle is important . seems the acid in the lemon juice combined with the heat will get rid of all the junk in even the smallest passage

Comment

I can see it working, but I doubt it's a "miracle" kinda thing.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

To really clean them you take them apart and dip them either in chemicals or an ultra-sonic washer.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i hear ya ! this guy says chemicals are ok but boiling water or lemon juice is number 1 for getting it clean . the chem dip is good but forget about carb cleaner . you need something stronger .

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
              i hear ya ! this guy says chemicals are ok but boiling water or lemon juice is number 1 for getting it clean . the chem dip is good but forget about carb cleaner . you need something stronger .
              That doesn't even make sense.

Lemon Juice is a weak acid... which in theory will do something...

However carb cleaner, and chemical dips are designed to remove gasoline, and rubber deposits.

Not to mention... when boiling something, apparently on your kitchen stove, you are allowing god knows what to flash off and get into your home.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

well according to him "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER AT CLEANING YOUR CARBS THAN BOILING THEM IN LEMON JUICE " .

Comment

that will be great for the million o-rings in there.

Comment

boiling carbs has been done for years and it works great
                    I have done it hundreds of times although i usually just use water. but I have heard of lemon juce many times... Guys often use lemon juice in ultra sonic cleaners instead of flamable solvents but like solvents you must remove EVERYTHING that is not metal.

The boiling water does two things, the heat expands the carb body and helps loosen things up, and the boiling action/churning/vibrations of the water works much like an ultra sonic cleaner to shake bits loose imbedded in the carb body, the boiling water also helps break down and disolve the sludge and crusties that form in carbs that have been sitting.
                    I had to boil a bank of carbs in a roasting pan a few months ago for a Kawi KZ scr 650....
                    after stripping and cleaning the carbs using super clean and carb cleaners inside and out, I was still left with a teaspoon size pile of crud in the dollar store roasting pan when i was done...
                    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-23-2009, 03:45 PM.
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
                      well according to him "THERE IS NOTHING BETTER AT CLEANING YOUR CARBS THAN BOILING THEM IN LEMON JUICE " .
                      He's an idiot.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

no way??? That never happens, everything you read on the internet is true.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                          He's an idiot.
                          That's a pretty brave statement from a 20 year old that THINKS it's easier & CHEAPER to change motors than to swap a transmission! I'll bet you had never even HEARD of using lemon juice until this thread. Some of us that have been around a little longer than you know QUITE a bit more about mechanical things & different solutions than you do. You might want to stop & think about maybe learning something new before spouting off about what you have little knowledge of. Ray.
                          Last edited by suzukiray; 04-23-2009, 07:56 PM.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                            That's a pretty brave statement from someone that THINKS it's easier & CHEAPER to change motors than to swap a transmission! Ray.
                            Alright troll...

Comment

"Daddy what's for dinner?"

"Boiled Carburetor with a side of lemon"
                              Let's go riding!

Comment

Working...
                              X