Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Idle 3k :(, rough starting in the a.m! Help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idle 3k :(, rough starting in the a.m! Help?

Hey kat'z.
    1993 kat gsx 600f.
    You guys have helped me a ton, much thanks! Now I got everything working pretty smooth and am happy with it. Now, I go to school about 7:00 a.m. About 40-50 F, I have to hold the choke all the way down and hold the starter for a couple secs. Now it will fire up, but sit and rev at like 1k if I touch the throttle at all it dies. After say 1 minute or so with the choke all the way on it will go up to 7k and I back down to 3k and have to hold the choke on a little bit otherwise if I let off it dies. Besides that should I be giving it more time to warm up or is there an easy way? I have did everything possible to get idle at 1300-1500 and if I do it's to low and will kill when stopped in 1st with the clutch in. I turn the idle screw a tad, nothing barley noticable and it shoots rate up to 3000 rpm. Now I can only get it at 3000 were it will stay running even when I stop but warm up still is horrible in the genreal and I want it at 1300 or so when I stop and have it still idle.

Any advice? Sorry for the book guys just trying to give you enough info.

Thanks alot,
    nate.
    sigpic

You could say that?

Is your choke slide getting stuck?(i.e. not closing all the way) I had that happen before. I tried compensating with the idle screw but it didnt really work out too well. After i took my tank off and saw that the slide wasn't able to move correctly, i was able to fix it and tune my idle screw to where it should be.

I'm not really sure if that is what you were getting at or not.
    Let's go riding!

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I don't think so. I checked to make sure that the idle was going all the way back in. Yes, it was. I also checked to make sure the throttle wasnt getting stuck on the airbox clamp when I twisted the throttle.

How long do you warm your bike up before a ride? Or how? I only drive like 5 blocks to school but if I don't warm it up for so long the thing dies at stop signs or I have to keep easing the throttle to keep it running.
      sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

I don't know if warm up time is different for pre's, but it only takes my 2002 a couple minutes. I also have a timing advancer so that helps a little bit.

When it is cold or the bike hasn't been run for a while I use the choke. But if it is warm outside it usually starts up first try without any trouble.
        Let's go riding!

Comment

Right on, I want to upgrade soon but I put alot of time into the body work on this bike and it's my first bike so I want to rock it for awhile. I just want to get the damn thing tuned and perfect . Is it horrible to run it idle at 3k? Anything you can think off the top of your head that would create a weird idle?
          sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by nater123 View Post
            Is it horrible to run it idle at 3k?
            No, but there is no reason to consider it acceptable.

Check for vacuum leaks, stuck choke, sticky throttle cable.

If those all check out, well...just let us know if any of that stuff helps first...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I've seen a lot of people over tighten the carb clamp screws when they put the carbs back on & it will cause this. Did you tighten the clamps until the clamp ends met each other? If so, the clamps are over tightened. It actually causes a vacuum leak. Ray.
              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Right on too the both of you, all check them tomorrow and hopefully it will change. Yes, I tightened them pretty tight just about both ends of the clamps touching. I will try that tomorrow, If so thanks so much you guys!

All let you know tomorrow.
                sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                  I've seen a lot of people over tighten the carb clamp screws when they put the carbs back on & it will cause this. Did you tighten the clamps until the clamp ends met each other? If so, the clamps are over tightened. It actually causes a vacuum leak. Ray.

Which end do you mean? The intakes or at the airbox? This is some great info either way.

Comment

Yes I would like to know too, I want to try it tomorrow. Otherwise all just loosen them all I just always thought tight on them was good and that's what you wanted.
                    sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Both sides but MORE so the intake to carb side. Ray.
                      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

SOUNDS like some crap in your pilot circuit . I HATE how many jump straigh to the "your carbs are dirty , clean them" spiel , but that might be accurate in this case ..... It's NORMAL for rpom's to jump a good bit with choke . But the "hang" is kinda telling me ....
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yeah I have cleaned the carbs 3 times total so far. But I did have those boots all as tight as I could get them . so I will first try that and proceed to the carbs if nothing else. I just keep cleaning them but the jet's and stuff all look clean and not gummed up. I just want it to idle nice at stop signs. I hate playing with the throttle at stop's and reving it to keep it at like 2-3, anywere under 2k she dies. After maybe a half hour of riding it will sometimes more than none idle.
                          sigpic

You could say that?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                            Both sides but MORE so the intake to carb side. Ray.
                            OK, I'll give that a try too. I'm sure I've gorilla'd those clamps down.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                              SOUNDS like some crap in your pilot circuit . I HATE how many jump straigh to the "your carbs are dirty , clean them" spiel , but that might be accurate in this case
                              well you must HATE how many times ive been right about it

From MY experience, my bike warmed up really slow, I had to choke it even in warm weather for like 2 min. My idle was a bit low and shakey. Eventually it started to really run like crap so I cleaned the float bowls, and adjusted my valves.

My intake valves were loose and the exhaust were tight (no thats what she said jokes plz ) .... anyway, its a potential that thats your problem. I would obviously try less mechanical fixes first like checking your spark plugs or w/e MD thinks he knows about bikes (his is always broken )

jk md <3

Comment

Working...
                              X