X

Starting taking a while

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting taking a while

Ok so i now have the bike to where i can ride it once its warm, its just getting there thats the problem- I hit the starter button (choke on) and it cranks for about 30-45 seconds before firing up and once it starts it revs to about 5 or 6 grand, i turn the choke down to get it to idle at about 2 or 3 thousand rpms and let it warm up for about 5 mins and then the choke comes off all the way and itll idle around 1500 rpms and it has a smooth throttle throughout the entire rpms and all but im just wondering why it takes so much cranking and why it jumps so high when it starts- Thanks in advance for the help

1996 600 katana- stock jetting
    Last edited by cleankat96; 04-23-2009, 12:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well , the "stock jetting" may have something to do with it ..... or maybe just something's getting old and needs a little love . Bring the bike by the house sometime & we'll see what we can figger out .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Ok didnt really get the part about stock jetting, i just meant its all stock

Comment

could a weak spark be the problem? - Also do you guys think seafoam could help and will seafoam hurt the tank liner?

Comment

If it is ALL stock, I'll bet the biggest INITIAL modification will be to drill out & remove the mixture screw plugs & adjust the mixture screws CORRECTLY. Ray.
          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

He makes a valid point . Stock jetting is fairly lean on the idle circuit .
            And yes , it COULD be a weak spark . I wouldn't count on the Seafoam to work miracles , but it won't hurt nothin , either .

Comment

The po drilled the caps out before i got them, i had them at 2.5 turns out and it did the same thing but it was running to rich like that so i backed them down a little- when i say running rich i mean i could smell it and when i pulled the carbs off the intake boots were soaked with fuel- is that part normal?

Comment

Little fuel in the boots I ASSUME is normal . I've always seen some in there , provided the bike ain't sat for a couple days before I messed around in there ...

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Little fuel in the boots I ASSUME is normal . I've always seen some in there , provided the bike ain't sat for a couple days before I messed around in there ...
                  Do you think that a factory pro jet kit would make it a little easier to start/ a little smoother- also i was reading how some of the katanas carbs have different size jets in number three is that right?

Comment

If you take the time to adjust the mixture screws CORRECTLY, it should start easier, require less choke to start & have better throttle response. Ray.
                    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                      If you take the time to adjust the mixture screws CORRECTLY, it should start easier, require less choke to start & have better throttle response. Ray.
                      would that make the slight flat spot at 3000 go away too?

Comment

It will help it but if it has no work done to the carbs, as in no jet kit, you need to shim the needles about .040 to richen it up a hair. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                          It will help it but if it has no work done to the carbs, as in no jet kit, you need to shim the needles about .040 to richen it up a hair. Ray.
                          Is a factory pro jetkit worth it, as in will it save me some tuning troubles, do you know if it says where to set the af screws and needles at in the instructions?

Comment

Working...
                          X