X

petcock question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock question

today i experimented with my petcock. it ONLY runs on prime.

this weekend ill check all the connections to see if the vacuum hose is connected, if not, ill have to look to see if its the the actual petcock.

is that pretty much all i need to check?
    it literally purrs when on prime. so i figure the engine and carbs are fine. any diagrams to see where the vacuum hose plugs into the carbs? i really dont know what im looking for as far as that goes. but i know where it should plug in to the petcock.

so yeah any input would be awesome.

i wont get to check it out til friday or saturday

THANKS!
    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

really? no responses? haha
    "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

All I know is that PRIME is really BAD to run in... Something about fouling up your engine.

Needs to run in ON (Pointing Down) I think it is down.

Yes it is:

RESERVE to the front.
      ON down.
      PRIME to the rear.
      Last edited by JaxKat; 04-23-2009, 10:07 PM.
      2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
      Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
      "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
      Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
      Veteran of the United States Air Force.
      "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Do you mean the bike only runs on prime or the fuel only flows? I assume you mean the bike only runs. Not really sure, but I would try a petcock rebuild kit. It doesn't cost a lot and its about the only thing you can do to a petcock that I know of. Of course, checking to make sure all your hoses are connected probably isn't a bad idea either.

Comment

yes i do know that it SHOULD run in the ON position. but it doesnt

it runs PERFECTLY in the PRIME position, but does not run at all in on ON or RESERVE. and as far as fouling the engine and everything, it has been running great.

so i figure its one of two things:

1. vacuum hose in not connected properly, or not connected at all.
          2. petcock needs a rebuild.

so my main question: where does the vacuum hose hook up to the carbs/engine? i am failry certain that it is connected to the petcock, but will check this weekend. and it has a strong possibility of not being connected correctly. so any pictures/ descriptions/ diagrams of where it would go would be helpful
          "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

#4 carb I believe. It should be pretty obvious from the side of the bike. The easy way to check if you petcock is bad is to hook a hose up to the vacuum port and suck. One of three things will happen:

1. Gas will flow: you have a vacuum problem
            2. Gas won't flow: you have a petcock problem
            3. You get a mouthful of gas: you have a petcock and mouth problem
            sigpic
            »Ross Wendell
            »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by RossW View Post
              #4 carb I believe. It should be pretty obvious from the side of the bike. The easy way to check if you petcock is bad is to hook a hose up to the vacuum port and suck. One of three things will happen:

1. Gas will flow: you have a vacuum problem
              2. Gas won't flow: you have a petcock problem
              3. You get a mouthful of gas: you have a petcock and mouth problem
              so what is the good thing out of those three? haha

ok first thing though i just remebered that when my bike wasnt starting a while ago, we found that something hissed and sucked in air on the RIGHT side. is that the vacuum??! we put a little hose over it and zip tied it shut haha. hmmm
              (that didnt fix the starting problem, but it was an open hole that could suck things in.... ) i eventually found the choke and it started right up.... i know im a genius.. haha

fo you have a picture somewhere, tomorrow i will get one and either post it, or campare to yours
              "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Black hose coming off the left side of this pic is the petcock vacuum hose. It should be plugged onto the center backside of the petcock, the NON brass nipple.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

thanks,

well seeing as how i most likely wont be pulling my carbs off to check, unless i HAVE to if it came down to it. so when the carbs are on the bike (a pre) will this be visible through the opening of the fairings on the right side of the bike?

and is the other thing on the right (in the pic), the idle adjuster or choke? cuz that would confirm my guess.
                  "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

Your looking at the engine side of the carbs... so sitting on the bike...

vacuum nipple on the carbs on the right side...

petcock on the left side...

idle adjustment on the left side...

You would not need to remove your carbs... at the most, just lift the tank a little to see what is routed underneath it. Vacuum crossing from the right side to the left side for the petcock.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok yeah that is what i thought. I honestly dont think that there is a vacuum hose even hooked up to either, ill check it out though, thanks. if nothing is hooked up, will any rubber hose work, or should i shop around for a real hose. most likely, because it will get hot correct?
                      "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

ok thanks everyone! i checked it out, there was no hose hooked up from the petcock to the vacuum, so i went out, bought one, and now the bike is working perfectly! on the correct setting! im ecstatic, my bike for the most part is running as good as i want it to. maybe my gas mileage will pick up and be normal.

thanky you!
                        "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

There you go man.

It was that little blue thing wasnt it?
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

well yes. that is where the vacuum is. i had to buy a hose to connect it to the petcock. and that was it. i rode it like 60 miles since then and i will figure out my gas mileage, i think i was geting below 30 MPG. and its already looking up! haha. i just bought some rubber vacuum hose from Autozone. and that was it,
                            "Ride Safe, Ride Often"

sigpic

Comment

That's awesome man, is it starting up any easier for you now?
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X