X

Need help brainstorming...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help brainstorming...

I had my kickstand cut and re-welded, my boss took about an inch out of the middle so the bike didn't stand nearly straight up. Well it's got almost a perfect lean now, but my only problem is when the kickstand is up, it sits right in between my footrest and the shifter. It's fine with sneakers, I do have to slip my foot in between the kickstand and the shifter to get underneath the shifter but when I try with boots on, the safety switch engages...so now I'm trying to think of what to do about the kickstand, I like the height it's at but find it a bit of a safety risk having to sneak my foot in there between it and the shifter, any ideas?
    "If you aint first, you're last"

I don't know if I have a good answer here, but all I can think of would be to weld another mounting point further back on the frame so the stand tucks up under the peg...about where it would have been if it were stock. IMHO, you should be wearing boots anyway most of the time.

Comment

That could turn out bad one day

Comment

The only solution I can think of is a different bottom piece for the kickstand, one that doesn't jut out towards where your foot is as readily

Moving the kickstand rearwards (Helmet_Hair's suggestion) would be a royal PIA if feasible at all, because of where it mounts up and the need to reinforce the sub-frame in a new location.

Removing the kill-switch could turn out bad as well (it's there to save your life, in case you lose a kick-stand spring, before it can drag an obstacle on the road and wreck you).

You could also go the other route, and instead of modifying the kickstand further, you could reshape the shifter (or replace it) so that it sticks out away from the bike more (i.e. - get the foot away from the kickstand).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'd just buy a new kickstand or centerstand and put it on. No point in dealing with issues if you don't have to.
          -
          -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Londob5 View Post
            I'd just buy a new kickstand or centerstand and put it on. No point in dealing with issues if you don't have to.
            What he said.
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Can't put a centerstand on the bike, lowered too much, and I don't see how any other kickstand would change the problem I'm having now. I was thinking of possibly grinding the tip down so it doesn't jut up so far towards my foot. I also like CP's idea on extending the shifter out, I'll have to take a look at that and see how much work we're looking at to accomplish that. Tryin to work smarter on this one, not harder.
              "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

How about pics?
                I'm having trouble visualizing this

Comment

disable the safety switch...
                  then cut and re-weld the kickstand tilted down a bit out of the way
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey Dank View Post
                    I also like CP's idea on extending the shifter out, I'll have to take a look at that and see how much work we're looking at to accomplish that. Tryin to work smarter on this one, not harder.
                    The aluminum the shifter mechanism is made out of bends in-out readily enough, but doesn't bend up-down very easily (not that up-down is an issue -- it can be adjusted via the linkage). The real question is whether it's long enough that bending it twice (once to angle it out, and again to bring it flat to the foot's position) would shorten the distance too much, and whether there is another shifter mechanism available that will fit the same location that starts out with a longer throw (then the bending could leave you back where you started in terms of total length).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                      disable the safety switch...
                      then cut and re-weld the kickstand tilted down a bit out of the way
                      Ah, now someone's thinkin'

Comment

Working...
                      X