X

will not go into first?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will not go into first?

Had my bike tipped over and trying to get it back into shape. When it was all broken it still would work! Now that I took all the body off and painted it and bent the shift lever back to where it should be it will not shift into first?
    Did it jump some splines?
    How do you tell?
    I did tighten all the bolts down there now I'm f*cked

Have pics but cant'd post them for some reason.
    any help would be great!
    Thanks wayne.
    Masshole in Az! -teaches pet-

sounds like a shift fork, hmmmmm
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

shit fork?
      I know it has somthing to do with the rod between the shift lever and the shaft that go into the trans.
      I tried to losen 10mm nuts ( one standard one reverce thread ) but can't adjust the rod in or out?
      seems like it needs to have a little more pull up to get it into first

Comment

Originally posted by jfr
        shiate fork?
        I know it has somthing to do with the rod between the shift lever and the shaft that go into the trans.
        I tried to losen 10mm nuts ( one standard one reverce thread ) but can't adjust the rod in or out?
        seems like it needs to have a little more pull up to get it into first
        If it worked before you stripped the fairings (but after the fall), you either bent the shifter too far (IMHO: replace it), or jammed the adjuster shaft (it should allow you to adjust it just fine). I find it doubious that the shifter-fork was damaged the bike toppling over (but could be damaged if you tried to use brute force to get it into 1st when it didn't want to go).

Try this:
        (A) Disconnect the adjuster shaft.
        (B) Engine off, bike in neutral, see if you can get it to go into 1st using just pressure/motion on the adjuster shaft. You can have someone else spin the rear wheel by hand if it helps.
        (C) If this works, replace the adjuster shaft and shifter. If it doesn't, damage is further in and you're in a world of hurt.

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It worked fine for the last three weeks but when I was wainting for the paint to dry (yes spray bomb) I tighten all the bolts and bent the lever with two box wrenches to where it should be. It seemed lose since I got it but always worked. all the other gears are fine.I haven't evan started it yet, I was just checking the shifting after I tighten it all and it would not go into first.It fell because my roomate riped the hose from under it.The mirror, side panel and kickstand (hit the exhaust pipe till tonght,bent that too)got most of the damage.

Comment

Try it with your room-mate rotating the backwheel in the direction of travel (as if it were running) and see if goes into first. Sometimes it just sticks a bit when in neutral without the input from the engine or wheel (nothing uncommon there).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'l go try to go down the drive way,brb, Thanks

Comment

It will go into first now but is real tight, if it rolls backward no chance on goin in.move forward than it will go in.(Didn't start it yet)

Comment

Originally posted by jfr
                  It will go into first now but is real tight, if it rolls backward no chance on goin in.move forward than it will go in.(Didn't start it yet)
                  Use the adjuster as necessary to make it always reliably engagable.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ok how,,,
                    it seems not to want to move at all,I will soak it tonight in some lube and maybe tomorrow there will be some movement.
                    Wayne,
                    Could just be age (this is a 90) and it needs a little help in moving

Comment

Working...
                    X