X

OIL LEVEL QUESTION

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OIL LEVEL QUESTION

I think that manual says the oil level is supposed to bebetween Full and Low. Mines is leaning more toward the full mark. Is this OK as long as it's not over the full mark? I worry about small stuff. I want my Kat to run forever.

just fill it to FULL

change oil regularly, your kat will run forever

Comment

It's better to be close or at the full mark than at or close to the empty mark.

Things to know:

1. Always measure on the centerstand on a flat surface.

2. The factory spec method for reading the oil is to start the bike for a minute or two, then shut down and read the measurement glass 45 to 60 seconds after shut-down. This forces oil into the transmission, cooler hoses, etc., and failing to run it before checking may well give you an artificially high reading.

3. Too much oil is less wearing on the engine than too little oil; too much may cause the crank to slosh through the oil (reducing power), but too little may permit the oil pick-up to be out of the oil at high RPM's, starving your engine for oil.

4. The oil pick-up is at the front left of the sump. This is so that when starting on the side-stand, your engine will not be deprived of oil. On the other hand, if you pull a wheelie, it puts the oil pick-up out of the oil.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Can a Katana pull a wheelie
        Are paradigms another way of viewing 20 pennies or 4 nickles . . . think out of the roll

Comment

Originally posted by simple guy

YES, and Dingbat's DID!!!!!!!
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yes They Can. I have done it on mine numerous times but only out in the middle of nowhere..
            www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Originally posted by Highsight2020
              Yes They Can. I have done it on mine numerous times but only out in the middle of nowhere..
              really?
              mine is way to fat i think maybe im to scared to try hard enough
              all that happens is the back tire trys to spin out from underneth me
              2003 gsx600f (the yellow one)
              vortex sprockets,D&D slip on,c/f led lights
              JIM's cowl, mesh, clearalt's ds signal, zero gravity ds screen

Comment

Might be the tire, but.....................

I just rev her up & dump the clutch..... I like to just bring the front wheel up about 6-12" for about 10-20'...........that's enough for me!

...hang on to that clutch lever though...........feathering it or the rear brake lightly can save you from doing an end-over!
                I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                  Might be the tire, but.....................

I just rev her up & dump the clutch..... I like to just bring the front wheel up about 6-12" for about 10-20'...........that's enough for me!

...hang on to that clutch lever though...........feathering it or the rear brake lightly can save you from doing an end-over!

....or maybe the 12hunert cc's.....

Comment

Working...
                  X