X

Noise on ^Take off , oil coming from engine bolt

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise on ^Take off , oil coming from engine bolt

hello all. I just recently got my cat running to the point where I can atleast ride it to work(35 Miles up and back). I ususally take 76W(Schu-kill) and get up to about 85 -90 on my trip. When I stop , My boot has some oily residue on it(right foot). Right under the valve cover, there is a allen head bolt that I think is leaking oil through it. I know I have to jack up the motor in order to get at it but why is it coming out of there???Oil is a little over full(right above the mark).
    Second, when i got to take off from a light, when I let the clutch out slow, I get this grumble sound coming from the sprocket cover...It only happens in first, on take off. Upshifts good, downshifts good.I thought that it was my chain so I read up on the all abut ahins link but didn't find any help.. I adjusted the chain once before , but it seems loose again. Chain has left wear marks on the rubber slabe on the rear swings arm...I can try to adjust it again but I only have about two more notches left on the swing arm. Any ideas?????Sorry so long
    Riding is like a roll-a-coaster that you control

Sounds like you may need to adjust the cable CORRECTLY, as in, by the shop manual method (upper & lower adjustments) & then to replace the chain & sprockets. I am a fan of spending a little more cash & changing the chain & both sprockets all at once because I get better life out of them that way. The oil leak I would like to see some pics of. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping it was something like that. I try that on thurs day and see if i can get you a pic.

Comment

Oily boot on the right side?

Tighten the signal generator cover bolts according to your manual's torque specifications.

--B

Comment

Those allens high up kinda hidden by the frame on the side ? You sure it ain't coming from the cylinder head cover gasket ?
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Thanks all. I figured out the noise pulling off the line. My Chain is basically toast, so I willl look to get one soon. i jacked the bike up and counter balanced it with a ratchect tie. Spun it in neutral and the sound was pretty bad. I cleaned it and oiled it, and adjusted it up for now. Any ideas on a good chain and sproket set would be greatly appriciated. I was going to go with the stockers for now. Im really not looking for preformance right now, because I still have some other things to get done., like forks seaks and body work.
            As for the oil leak, MD86, you know what Im talking about. You descrided exactly what is leaking. Im pretty sure its coming out of there. I cleaned it off with brakekleen and As I ride, I glanced down at the blot and there is a drip right on the frame support bar that sits under that. Im not too worried about the clearance between the bolt and the frame. I have a really long allen socket that I use at work sometime. I guess I would have to find a way to susspend the engine and undo that bolt. My question is!!! The service manual dosnt show anything about what is behind there! I don't want to go shooting a bolt, and loose my cam or something. Does anyone have a idea what could be lurking back there????

Comment

Kinda , yeah . It's like this rod that the lifters or whatever ride on . Not sure WHY on earth it'd be leaking , though . No reason to EVER really mess with it . Know what I'd do ? Honestly , I'd check torque first to make sure it ain't come loose for some reason , and if it AIN'T , I'd hose it with brake cleaner again and smear some RTV over it . May not look pretty , but if the bolt's snug , and you ain't in danger of it spitting out , that leak'd be taken care of .
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

PROBALY NOT A BAD IDEA. I WAS THINKING OF DOING THAT. i WAS GOING TO SILICONE IT WHEN i BACKED IT OUT THEN TORQUE IT IN!! THANKS md86

Comment

Working...
                X