Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Carb air/fuel mix screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Carb air/fuel mix screws

    Hi, i'm overhauling my carbs, and i noticed that someone in here said someting about 1 and a half turn on the air/fuel mix would be apropriate, reason i'm asking is that my factory settings (had to remove the brass plugs) was 3 1/4 turn in before it stopped, is that to much? all 4 was the same.
    Suzuki GSX600F 92'

  • #2
    Turn screws in until lightly seated, then turn to 2.5 turns out for a stock bike.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

    Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

    Comment


    • #3
      yeah, that's WAY too much. No way in hell the factory setting was 3 1/4 turns.
      Last edited by Black_peter; 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by arsenic View Post
        yeah, that's WAY too much. No way in hell the factory setting was 3 1/4 turns. No one EVER said 1.5 turns out, it's 2.5. If you searched I've said that at least 100 times.
        Ok. I think i've found the problem, ive realy tightened it, as in the last round is just pressing down the spring, so it will probably be right with 2.5 when the srew touches.

        In carb 101 it says 1.5-2 and 2.25 for jet kits, im not arguing, 2,5 sounds more likely =)
        Suzuki GSX600F 92'

        Comment


        • #5
          They come stock at like 1.75 turns out which is too lean.
          Last edited by Black_peter; 04-21-2009, 06:43 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Ok, well then i'm glad i posted here=) Thanx a bunch! =) 2.5 from when the screw touches it is then.
            Suzuki GSX600F 92'

            Comment


            • #7
              Follow the advice as a guide ....
              Mine ended up being Happy @ 2.75

              These guy's know what they are talking about ~

              All you want to know is right here ~

              Comment


              • #8
                Back up your attitude Chris!!
                Last edited by Black_peter; 04-21-2009, 06:44 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  what attitude BP? I see you edited my post's, what am I not allowed to say that carbs 101 is wrong? Did I offend someone there? I'm sorry, I did not mean too.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by shibby View Post
                    Hi, i'm overhauling my carbs, and i noticed that someone in here said someting about 1 and a half turn on the air/fuel mix would be apropriate, reason i'm asking is that my factory settings (had to remove the brass plugs) was 3 1/4 turn in before it stopped, is that to much? all 4 was the same.
                    Just so you know & can set the screws to where the bike will run the best, this is the CORRECT way to set the air mixture screws. With the screws all at 1.5-2.0 turns out to begin start the bike & warm it up to operating temp. After that set the idle speed. Starting with carb #1, turn the mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time in or out till the bike idles the fastest. If the idle speed comes up a lot, turn it back down. Move on to #2 & same procedure. Then 3, then 4. After you have all 4 of the screws adjusted to where the bike idles the fastest, set the idle to the correct speed. The cool thing about mixture screws is that the motor "Tells" you where they need to be! All other aspects of jetting are by feel or symptoms if you don't have an A/F meter. After the screws are set to where the engine wants them you will be amazed at how easy the bike starts & how little choke is required. The throttle response off the bottom will be quicker & smoother too! Good luck & don't forget to sync them after that. Ray.
                    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      what attitude BP? I see you edited my post's, what am I not allowed to say that carbs 101 is wrong? Did I offend someone there? I'm sorry, I did not mean too.
                      You're not allowed to be an ***.. Just cool the whole "I know it all" attitude.

                      It's your attitude.. Get it through your head! Not what you're trying to say but how your saying it...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                        Just so you know & can set the screws to where the bike will run the best, this is the CORRECT way to set the air mixture screws. With the screws all at 1.5-2.0 turns out to begin start the bike & warm it up to operating temp. After that set the idle speed. Starting with carb #1, turn the mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time in or out till the bike idles the fastest. If the idle speed comes up a lot, turn it back down. Move on to #2 & same procedure. Then 3, then 4. After you have all 4 of the screws adjusted to where the bike idles the fastest, set the idle to the correct speed. The cool thing about mixture screws is that the motor "Tells" you where they need to be! All other aspects of jetting are by feel or symptoms if you don't have an A/F meter. After the screws are set to where the engine wants them you will be amazed at how easy the bike starts & how little choke is required. The throttle response off the bottom will be quicker & smoother too! Good luck & don't forget to sync them after that. Ray.
                        Wow, great post=) Thanx =)
                        Suzuki GSX600F 92'

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                          Just so you know & can set the screws to where the bike will run the best, this is the CORRECT way to set the air mixture screws. With the screws all at 1.5-2.0 turns out to begin start the bike & warm it up to operating temp. After that set the idle speed. Starting with carb #1, turn the mixture screw 1/4 turn at a time in or out till the bike idles the fastest. If the idle speed comes up a lot, turn it back down. Move on to #2 & same procedure. Then 3, then 4. After you have all 4 of the screws adjusted to where the bike idles the fastest, set the idle to the correct speed. The cool thing about mixture screws is that the motor "Tells" you where they need to be! All other aspects of jetting are by feel or symptoms if you don't have an A/F meter. After the screws are set to where the engine wants them you will be amazed at how easy the bike starts & how little choke is required. The throttle response off the bottom will be quicker & smoother too! Good luck & don't forget to sync them after that. Ray.
                          any advice on what tool to use to turn them while on the bike?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0119/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Or if you want to do it a little cheaper you can get a 1/4 inch socket & a correct size flat blade screw driver bit from Lowes or Home Depot to put in the socket & use it to reach under the carbs. The engine will be warm so I suggest Mechanix Wear gloves or something of the sort. Ray.
                              85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X