X

Power Mods

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Mods

Hey guys, here in michigan it is starting to warm up and I have been riding like crazy. I was just wondering if you guys know about any mods I can do to the engine to boost the horse power a little bit. I ride a 1999 kat 600.

Thanks guys.
    Theres a good place for deer and thats right in front of me...with some potatoes and gravy.

Red is Faster.

Lets ride

Forest Rats

check on here : http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/upgr/KatanaUpgrades.html
    and http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/Katana/index.html
    Last edited by Woodmysta; 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM.
    Former Marine 3/97-3/01
    MOS 0161 Semper FI!
    sigpic

Comment

Grind welds in header tubes.
      Factory Pro jet kit.
      Slip-On exhaust with racing baffle (if you can stand the noise).
      Reduce weight, 7 pounds equals 1 horsepower.
      If all you want is acceleration then a gearing change will sacrifice cruising comfort for that.

Comment

Well I already have a vance hines exhaust on the bike, I just want to upgrade the acceleration a little more. How hard is it to grind the welds and install a jet kit. Also how much more horse power will I gain? Thanks guys and gals, I am new to this so your help is appreciated.
        Theres a good place for deer and thats right in front of me...with some potatoes and gravy.

Red is Faster.

Lets ride

Forest Rats

Comment

If you want better acceleration, gear your sprockets down. 14/50 is a lot of fun.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Thanks to those who posted my webpages

Originally posted by KillerKatana..notthesword View Post
            Well I already have a vance hines exhaust on the bike, I just want to upgrade the acceleration a little more. How hard is it to grind the welds and install a jet kit. Also how much more horse power will I gain? Thanks guys and gals, I am new to this so your help is appreciated.
            First, let's back up a little:
            Are you truly looking for more horsepower (i.e. - more top-end speed), or are you looking for more "effective torque" (i.e. - more acceleration in the mid-range)? If you're looking for "effective torque", then the answers will be different than they are for absolute top-end speed.

Top End Speed:
            1. Stock jetting can't be beat for fast top speed, because the fueling isn't too rich as you get above 130 mph (closer to ideal-burn makes for better top-end, but less acceleration).
            2. Stock intake & exhaust also can't be beat for best top-speed on these bikes because of how they are engineered (has to do with the exhaust collector size as the point of constriction).
            3. If you really need more top-end speed, drop in a Bandit 1200 motor, or consider purchasing a different bike.

Mid-range Acceleration:

1. Timing Signal Advancer - $49 + shipping. See http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...ition_Advancer for more details on how it works; see http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...r_install.html for how to install it.

2. For your particular year/make/model - Ivan's Performance Products JetKit (not DynoJet, not K&N, not FactoryPro unless you want to tweak jetting). See www.ivansperformanceproducts.com for contact info.

3. Grind out the header weld slop. See how to on my website here: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/katana/header.html

4. Sprocket changes - trade speed for acceleration. See http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/kata...sprockets.html for sprocket ratios, notes, plus see http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/moto...ocketmath.html for how to understand what changes you are making.

5. A lighter, lower-pumping cost oil (Castrol R4 race oils for example, as compared to standard motorcycle oils). These oils allow the engine to change RPM's at a faster rate, although there is a long-term penalty in terms of total wear.

6. No replacement for displacement -- put in a bigger motor (again, the Bandit 1200 motor comes to mind immediately).

NOTES: You won't get any performance increase from changing headers or exhaust pipes on the 98+ Kats, although you may get a "perceived" change because of how you feel due to the extra noise. You also won't get any positive benefit from changing the intake filtration (because the constriction point in the system is still the exhaust collector, and the aftermarket headers still use that same collector size).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I got the Factory 5 Degree Advancer from CP and it made a huge improvement!
              2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
              2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
              1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
              1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
              1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

And if you already got the V&H , you BETTER have a jet kit already , or it's gonna run like *** .....
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

[quote=GregS;1698855]
                  Reduce weight, 7 pounds equals 1 horsepower.
                  quote]

So that's just over 3kgs for an extra 1 horsepower.

Better get my fat azz on the running machine and stop eating so many pies!

Comment

just get these. Mikuni RS36-D3-K 36mm flat slide smoothbore carbs:

Then get 88-89 600 intake boots, and your gonna wanna swap GSXR cams:
                    A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

Degree them to 104 degree lobe centers. Then you should be good.
                    Last edited by arsenic; 04-23-2009, 01:56 AM.

Comment

Eh , I'd rather have a B12 engine .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

true MD. He's asking about "power mods" for a 99 600. That's a "power mod" for a 600.

Comment

Working...
                        X