X

Clicking front brake?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clicking front brake?

for the past couple of weeks, i've noticed that the front brake clicks whenever i apply it. the rate of the click is related to the speed of the bike. (the slower the bike, the slower the clicks; the faster, etc..)
    I still have some braking power in the front, but it just doesn't feel quite "right". it's hard to explain. i searched the forum, but the only thread i found never had a solution. i'd appreciate any help you guys could throw my way.
    Last edited by Dr. Nacho; 04-20-2009, 11:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

pull the calipers off, clean them with brake cleaner and check for uneven wear
    lube the slide pins and retainers with silicone grease and re-install them..

BTW floater rotors will clack away when they are worn. Some movement is normal but too much and the rotors need to be replaced
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
      BTW floater rotors will clack away when they are worn. Some movement is normal but too much and the rotors need to be replaced
      I know this is an old post but instead of opening a new post about an issue that has been discussed before I thought I would just re-open this one. I noticed a click when I hit the brakes and took a look. I then noticed the "floating brakes". The outside ring moves about 2 thousandths of an inch independently of the inside ring. How much is too much play?
      U.S. Marine Combat Vet - Semper Fi
      05 Katana Street Fighter, GSX600F, Modified fairings, freshly rebuilt motor, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports, 5 angle valve job, 1990 750 gsxr cams, 750 gsxr headers. (wrapped), Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, 5' advance kit, GP Exhaust,.........

Comment

Originally posted by sabunimwil View Post
        I know this is an old post but instead of opening a new post about an issue that has been discussed before I thought I would just re-open this one. I noticed a click when I hit the brakes and took a look. I then noticed the "floating brakes". The outside ring moves about 2 thousandths of an inch independently of the inside ring. How much is too much play?

Pretty sure that was in the manual, but I'm not able to download and access the online version in the wiki atm due to being at work.

Might wanna check that yourself.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I downloaded the manual and went through the entire section. It talks about everything but that "floating issue". It talks a lot about run out and thickness but I saw nothing about the outer ring moving independently of the inner ring. (which is the question I have btw. the outer ring moving independently from the inner ring by about .002

Unless I don't know what runout means which could be the case. It talked about measuring it but didn't sound like the problem I am having.

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
          Pretty sure that was in the manual, but I'm not able to download and access the online version in the wiki atm due to being at work.

Might wanna check that yourself.

Krey
          05 Katana Street Fighter, GSX600F, Modified fairings, freshly rebuilt motor, ported and polished intake and exhaust ports, 5 angle valve job, 1990 750 gsxr cams, 750 gsxr headers. (wrapped), Factory Pro Stage 1 jet kit, 5' advance kit, GP Exhaust,.........

Comment

IMAG0191.jpg

This is what I am talking about. At these points (the gromet looking things) I can feel movement when I grab them and move them. I can also feel it when I apply the front brakes. I looked and read through the service manual for up to 2002 from this site and found nothing referring to measuring the play in it. Can anyone direct me in the correct direction? If I am missing it in the manual, where is it? and what would it be called? I read through everything to do with the brakes and pads, and discs, and wheels.
            At Ronayers it simply says "discontinued". Maybe I should just order a new set of discs but would rather just save my money if I knew that the play was within normal tolerences.

Comment

I'll take a stab...

The outer ring is supposed to move independently of the inner, that is what makes it a floating rotor. If you look at the bushings between the two rings, you can see "wavy" washers, to allow for movement and then to put enough pressure to return them to center.

If all of the bushings are intack, look for cracked, or missing pieces, then look for heavy rust. Heavy rust may cause a bushing to hang up when the outer ring wanted to move to the side a bit. If you have broken bushings, or if you have heavy rust, you will get clicking.

Secondly, you mentioned that the brakes do not feel right. You need to as already mentioned, check the calipers. Make sure that all of the pistons can be depressed into the calipers. If not, you have a siezed piston which will cause the other piston/s on that caliper to excert pressure on one side of the rotor only, and that will most definately make cause the bushings to make that clicking noise. If a piston is siezed, you will have to rebuild, or have them rebuilt. A little advice, if that is the case, do the other caliper as well...

Guide pins, bad workmanship on brakepads, and dirt can cause a brake pad to hang up and cause the same symptoms as a siezed caliper...

Good luck...
              "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

It was the previous poster that had the brakes not feeling right. Besides this click, when I hit the front brakes everything else seems normal and good. I just rebuilt the brake system and noticed it when I was putting the discs back onto the bike that it moves a bit. got a text from a mechanic friend of mine who said it is normal but he would take a look at it in the morning. No rust near the bushings (gromets), just a little movement.
                Thanks for takin g a stab at it.

Comment

I missed with the stab...answered a dead post instead...
                  "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

a little bit of side to side movement is okay, but if the inner and outer parts of the rotor have any rotational play, then they are worn out. Your best bet would be to keep an eye on ebay for a used set, but make sure to message the seller and describe how to check the rotors for play. It took me about half a dozen sets until I found one worth purchasing. Otherwise, your new rotor option will be $200+ per rotor.

Comment

Originally posted by rsdubs View Post
                      a little bit of side to side movement is okay, but if the inner and outer parts of the rotor have any rotational play, then they are worn out. Your best bet would be to keep an eye on ebay for a used set, but make sure to message the seller and describe how to check the rotors for play. It took me about half a dozen sets until I found one worth purchasing. Otherwise, your new rotor option will be $200+ per rotor.
                      Now, that's what I'm talking about. I had to be more clear in my question i guess. I did some checking last night and found discs from $200 a set to $500 for one. Wow. Going to order the new braided lines whilst I am at it too i guess.
                      The bike is starting to shape up nicely but still needs a good bit of work.
                      IMAG0186.jpg

Comment

Working...
                      X