X

Busa engine in a Kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busa engine in a Kat?

Ive heard that there is a way to swap a Busa engine to a kat? Is this possible, if so what has to be modified to make it work. I may just try to tackle this one if its a possibility.
    Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

I think it involves a rather large shoehorn and a sledgehammer :P

I'm no mechanical genius(unlike some people on here, who will probably tell you JUST how off your rocker you are, just wait a min. and see )

But i imagine some problems: Even if you could somehow make it fit, you'd probably have serious structual issues.
    Not only from the extreme torque and horsepower, but also weight distribution, suspension difficulties and problems with frame integrity (need to fit ram airinduction intakes, water cooler, fuel injection system etc etc).

Mad props, if you could pull it off though
    -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

Hey, I'm putting one in a Burgman!

Comment

I am thinking of a Busa go kart LOL
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Because of the water cooling, radiator locations, etc., I doubt it would be feasible -- it would be far, far easier to put modified Kat fairings on a Busa -- and even that wouldn't be very simple.

Keep us updated!
          Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Guess Im makin stuff up in my head again( im good a that) Or maybe I head one awesome ass dream, but I thought I had seen this somewhere.
            Custom flat black,pin stripes,mesh mod,Custom fender eliminator,signal integrator,Custom handlebars,New smoke screen,Braada cowl soon,clear signals.Later-Jet kit,K&N air filter ............................

Comment

What you probably saw was the Bandit 1100 or Bandit 1200 engine in the Kat, possibly with an overbore kit installed to take it out to 1300cc's. Those engines will bolt right in. Check the stickied thread at the top of the mechanics section for the details.

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Maybe that was it, Im going to keep looking though

Comment

Originally posted by Katana Nate
                  Maybe that was it, Im going to keep looking though
                  You might be able to physically fit the motor between the frame rails but there will clearance issues everywhere...airbox, exhaust, tank would need to be modified not to mention the rearend would be completely insufficient for the extra power. By the time you beefed up everything to handle the busa motors power, you be applying bandaids just so you could keep the weakest link, the kat frame.

I have seen plently of mods putting similar model engines into similar model frames. Oil cooled 750, 1100, and 1200's into oil cooled 600 frames. Water cooled 1000 and busa motors into waer cooled gsxr 750 frames etc. If you want the extra motor CC in a kat frame, I'd suggest the 1100 oil cooled gsxr or bandit route, alot less headaches.

Comment

Thanks. I will most likely mod the kat as much as I can, then if not the power I want, Ill probalbly sell, get a gixxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari
                      You might be able to physically fit the motor between the frame rails but there will clearance issues everywhere...airbox, exhaust, tank would need to be modified not to mention the rearend would be completely insufficient for the extra power. By the time you beefed up everything to handle the busa motors power, you be applying bandaids just so you could keep the weakest link, the kat frame.
                      this is exactly why it is going to take longer than I was hoping to get mine done. my engine has a good 25hp more than a stock busa engine does, so the rear needs a total workover....as in solid bracing of the swingarm, new suspention, better chain, wider rim/tire......it all adds up. The engine is the same as the stock one (1127) that has been beefed up to beat hell, so it requires bigger carbs....for which it is lacking clearence from the tank....which requires relocating the petcock. Then the airbox has to be changed/modified.
                      All this is with the same engine....as in it bolts right in cuz it is the same as stock. So just try to imagine what more is involved with putting a 1300 in a 600 or 750 kat.

This might sound a bit strange, but I am almost considerring looking for a busa with a toasted engine and swapping that one out for mine. It would be cool to be able to tell people I swapped out the gutless busa engine for a better one.
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                      X