X

93 600 kat swap to 93 gsxr 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 93 600 kat swap to 93 gsxr 750?

Hi all i just got my first Katana it’s a 93 600. Unfortunately it has a knock in the top end from a loose cam ( I got it that way) I have a 93 GSXR 750 that runs good but use to be a track bike so it is no good to me on the street. I was wondering if I can swap the 750 in to my Kat without much haste. (I know the 750 is water cooled but the radiator bolts up the same place as the oil cooler for the 600.) I’ve looked around and have not seen much on this but please let me know if I missed a good article some place.

Well , aside from the engine swap thread .....
    Usually it seems that ANY engine CAN fit . It's just a question of how much work it'll take to make it happen . The older oil-cooled GSXR engines'll fit . If the mounting bolts are in the same spot , that's the important part .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Looks like a strait swap to me but was wondering if anyone has done one like this.

Comment

Originally posted by skywurz View Post
        (I know the 750 is water cooled but the radiator bolts up the same place as the oil cooler for the 600.)

Comment

Ok the radiator is not a direct bolt up but I can make a bracket

Comment

again - WATER COOLED
            what are you not understanding about this? The motor mounts are NOT the same.

Comment

that’s news to me had not read that the mounts where different.

Comment

read the "installing larger engines in Kats" thread. Notice it says early OIL COOLED GSXR 750 engines. Well I just check and it doesn't but that is what EARLY means.

post #26 in the "INSTALLING LARGER ENGINES IN KATS" thread
                The GSXR 750 from 1986-1992 is what Special$K$ means. The oil cooled GSXR, no water cooled engines.

post #27
                Yea..........I use the late 80's early 90's oil cooled motors only............too difficult to try the water buffalos!!!

post #40
                Only the oil cooled engine will work...........no water buffaloes! So..........that list may be correct, but I'm not sure............

Also, don't forget the 98-05 Kat 750 engines! That would be a SUPER and SIMPLE swap for your bike, and cheaper too!
                Last edited by arsenic; 04-20-2009, 01:15 AM.

Comment

But it has to work it just has to
                  I just checked and unless I screwed up my measurements and part # lookups all of the mount holes seem to line up and the hardware is all the same part # maybe I’ll just bite the bullet and try dropping the 750 gsxr on to the 600 cradle and see how far off it is if at all. If not I have a big hammer and will make it work!!! and if that doesn’t fix it I have a drill a welder and some chewing gum and will make a KATANA GSXR hybrid franken monster from the twilight zone

any other issues other than wrong mounts that any one can see?

I know there are easer engine swaps but I have these parts and would like to use them.
                  Last edited by skywurz; 04-20-2009, 01:32 AM.

Comment

go for it, you would be the first person EVER to do it.

Comment

Yay i need a challenge in my life maybe i will swap the swing arm and forks while I’m at it... if it looks like it will work I’ll open a long term project post.
                      [quote=md86;1697864]Usually it seems that ANY engine CAN fit . It's just a question of how much work it'll take to make it happen.quote]

Comment

I've done a Hayabusa engine in a Katana frame twice, but I had access a welder, mill, and a lathe. Kinda not a job for a big hammer. Oh, my next project after the DREAM Katana will be the SUPER Katana. That will have a turbo charged Hayabusa engine in it. I've done the Hayabusa engine sans turbo and that barley fit, so this will be fun.

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Well , aside from the engine swap thread .....
                        Usually it seems that ANY engine CAN fit . It's just a question of how much work it'll take to make it happen . The older oil-cooled GSXR engines'll fit . If the mounting bolts are in the same spot , that's the important part .
                        there is a whole lot of truth to this statement.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 04-20-2009, 02:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I like that statement and i'm going to run with it on this project.
                          If I had a Hayabusa laying around the yard I’d totally try to swap it instead but sadly I don’t and like I said "i want to try to use the parts I have."

Comment

I look forward to hearing about how it goes . If it works well , please be sure to post all details , and hopefully it'll get added to the engine swap thread for posterity ....
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

did it work or what

Comment

Working...
                              X