X

Fuel shut off valve

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel shut off valve

I looked thru the search menu and believe I know the answer, but if I install a fuel shut off valve can I assume that it is sufficient to avoid the annual "draining of the carbs?"
    LMT

If your petcock is operating properly it shouldn't keep feeding them without vacuum (ie: engine running; unless you have it on PRI). I just put stabilizer in the tank, top it off and ride it for apx 10 mins to make sure the fresh fuel/stabil has made its way through to everything.

Comment

What "annual draining of the carbs" are we talking aboot , eh ? I don't drain mine unless I'm getting into the bowls for some reason ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

have three shut offs from when the bowls over flowed ..repaired that and did a rejet ..still have the tiny pincy little briggs and strattion lawn mower shut offs they flow like mad and work great think of getting the on the other bikes since they dont have a off on the petcock ...they are red and about 4-5 bucks

Comment

If your petcock is operating properly it shouldn't need a fuel shut off

Comment

I would assume that if you installed a shut off valve, it would cause a fueling issue since the lines are gravity fed.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've been thinking of installing an electric fuel shutoff valve for awhile now, and have it hooked up to a switch in the front of the bike somewhere. Steves, do you think that there would be that much of an issue with fuel flow? I know I've installed aftermarket inline fuel shutoffs before on my bike with no problems. (Briggs and stratton, like H-2 CHARLIE did)

Comment

Fuel filters can cause problems if they are routed incorrectly.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by LMT View Post
                  I looked thru the search menu and believe I know the answer, but if I install a fuel shut off valve can I assume that it is sufficient to avoid the annual "draining of the carbs?"
                  Based on your location:
                  If the draining of the carbs is for "winter" storage, the answer is NO, unless you use a goodly amount of fuel stabilizer and are parking in an environment that won't see condensation.

You drain the carbs over winter to prevent the fuel from evaporating (leaving behind significant fuel residues blocking up jetting, etc.) and typically leave the drains open so that condensation water can drain out of them during the storage period. A petcock shutting off fresh fuel supply to the carbs does not eliminate these considerations.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X