X

No Electric... Need help ASAP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Electric... Need help ASAP

Guys I need some serious help! I had a dead battery yesterday and I tried to jump it off my car. It made this huge spark and the battery started smoking a little bit. I was told that was the wrong thing to do, but I did it many times before and nothing went wrong. So I put a brand new battery in it because the old one was shot entirely so now the new one has charge but the bike is getting NO ELECTRIC!!! All my fuses were ok, none of them were blown. The only thing I dont know about is the other little black box thingy next to my fuses. I took it out but I dont know what it does, but it looks like it is some kind of fuse or something. Could that have been blown? What do I do? I need my bike running ASAP but I dont know where to start...

My bike is a 2000 Suzuki Katana 750

Did you turn the car on? If you did...uh oh...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I assume you checked the circuit breaker (little black box with a small red button on the top). It might be time to start tracing wires.
      "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

A circuit breaker? Wheres this located??? I have yet to know that was in there! No, I did not start the car...

Comment

Hmm, I just re-read your post and see you have a 2000.....I'm not sure if the 98+ katana still has a circuit breaker; I would assume it does. On the pre's, it is on the front of the battery box under the tank. It may be worth a look. It is a little black box with a red dot on the top. If it is tripped, the red dot will be pushed out.
          "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

Thank You SOOOO MUCH!!! I will check that out! I sure hope mine has it and thats my problem!

Comment

the black box next to accessory fuses above battery is the side stand relay/signal light relay THE BIKE WILL NOT RUN WITH IT REMOVED

In the area above your left heal gaurd, where the left upper fairing and the rearside fairing meet is the starter relay and main fuse ( you should be able to find it by following the positive battery cable away from the battery )
              Looks like you will need to remove left upper fairing to get to it

I am thinking thinking that you blew out the main fuse when the boost went bad
              Last edited by rexazz2; 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM.
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

rexazz got it -- it's the main fuse (the Kat went from main breaker to main fuse between the '97 and '98 model year).

Note that you can get a self-resetting replacement breakers that will fit the blade type fuse holders at many auto parts stores -- nice upgrade if you are going to be far, far from home

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You guys are AMAZING!!! I am definately looking for that tommorow!!! I was looking around the battery but found nothing so I was just gonna ask whats next, lol!

Comment

one more point for the age old "dont jump the bike off the car" disagreement. remember, fuses can LOOK good and still be toast. check them with an ohm meter if you're not sure if its' good
                    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Really ? Every fuse I've ever seen it was OBVIOUS it was poppoed . I'll have to remember that ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                        Really ? Every fuse I've ever seen it was OBVIOUS it was poppoed . I'll have to remember that ....
                        I've seen ones that have broken with hairline fractures, rather than blowing (burning out) in a way that's easily noticeable.

Oh, and then there was that huge number of fuses that were bad from the Chinese factory that HarborFreight sold for a couple years (they issued a recall on them) -- no clue how many other things failed because of bad fuses not doing the job right

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've encountered a fuse or two that looked perfectly fine on inspection but were indeed blown. My multimeter is my bestest good buddy.

Comment

Ok Awesome! Ill just replace them all, make sure I am good to go! Ill let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

YOU GUYS ARE LIFE SAVERS!!! It was my 30A Main fuse that was shot! I was able to ride my bike today and am soooo happy!!! Thank You So Much Everyone!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X